Trying to Teach in Singapore

bookworm88

Trying to Teach in Singapore

Post by bookworm88 »

Hello Everyone,

I would like to get a full-time teaching position in either history or English. I've applied to most of the international schools in Singapore with vacancies and have not heard back from any. I religiously look at TES, Schrole, and individual school websites for any job openings. I would like to know how to successfully get teaching job in Singapore. I have a bachelor's and master's with four years of IB teaching experience. I'm in the process of getting a teaching license from the US. I am open to suggestions to improve my chances.
shadowjack

Re: Trying to Teach in Singapore

Post by shadowjack »

"I'm in the process of getting a teaching license from the US."

And there is the heart of your problem. Get your certification, get a job in SE Asia if you can't get Singapore right away, then keep plugging away. Make connections and contacts at conferences, sports events, etc, and milk them for what you can.
bookworm88

Post by bookworm88 »

I see. I didn't know the state teaching licensure was weighted that heavily. Is the TESOL certificate not that meaningful on the resume?

Since my significant other works in Singapore, my options for work placement is limited. I'll definitely try to make connections and network once I move there. What conferences do you suggest?

Thanks for all the insight.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If you want to work at an accredited school as a teacher, TESOL is pretty worthless unless you are a certified teacher AND teach ESL/EAL/ELL. The certification is what allows you portability.
Whisight97

Post by Whisight97 »

It seems to me that to become a teacher in Singapore, you have to go through fire and water. There is a fairly long and scrupulous process of selecting teachers, as well as the presence of psychological selection. In general, the main thing is to set a goal correctly and really want to achieve it - then you will succeed.
unsure

Post by unsure »

Whisight97 wrote:
> It seems to me that to become a teacher in Singapore, you have to go
> through fire and water.

If by going through fire and water, you mean being a qualified teacher, then I guess so.
sid

Post by sid »

More than that. It’s highly competitive. There will be dozens of qualified, experienced candidates for any decent job. Be prepared to promote yourself.