Open University or Online degree from 'regular' UK university?

brillo

Open University or Online degree from 'regular' UK university?

Post by brillo »

A friend is looking into getting into teaching, but their degree is from a university in indonesia and we haven't been able to get it recognised.

What would be more appealing to an IS? Initially I was convinced that the OU was the way to go, but have heard some locals in my current country sniff at it (whereas they'd fawn over someone with a degree from Oxford Brookes).

Some lower tier UK universities are offering online degrees now (e.g. Derby).

So which one do you think would go down better at an IS? Open University or a not so good 'University of ....'? We're targeting primary schools.

Thanks!

N.B. please also let me know if you think tier 1/2 would make a difference, friend would be working in Asia and is ethnically Asian, we all know how well that works out in IE...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

OxBridge offers an online MSc in Teacher Education, I wouldnt classify that as "lower tier" OxBridge is one of the Global Ivys in IE.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduat ... -education

If your goal is one of the First/Elite tier BSs a more prestigious degree is very marketable. You can get into leadership with little experience and the right Uni based on the prestige of the Uni alone at lower tier ISs if your degree is from OxBridge or one of the Global Ivys. If not and the goal is just to enter the IE market and your fine with working your way up and through the tiers than a Masters is a Masters is a Masters and any accredited Masters is a workable option.
drosophila

Re: Open University or Online degree from 'regular' UK university?

Post by drosophila »

Looks good but not online. An Oxford MSc is a steal and the cost is pretty affordable (less than 13K)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@drosophila

Yes it is, well mostly. There is a one week week residency (on campus) in each of years one and two, but the rest of the program is online distance learning:
"blends online distance learning with one-week residential components in Oxford in years one and two".
expatscot

Re: Open University or Online degree from 'regular' UK university?

Post by expatscot »

I think the OP is talking about a 1st degree, so Batchelors maybe?

Typical Oxbridge elitism though. Only consider people with 1sts or 2:1s, despite grade inflation. There are actually better schools of education in the UK than Oxford, TBH, and setting aside the 'snob' value of Oxford I'd look at others ahead of them.