Salary Comparisons for Singapore international schools

johnsontee

Salary Comparisons for Singapore international schools

Post by johnsontee »

Going to throw it out there,

I am earning around 7.5 k working in a public school teaching IB in Singapore. Working for 25 years.

Before I jump ship to international schools , Will I get the same pay or I should expect a pay cut. IB experience is 7 years and before teaching local curriculum

Advise please thanks
shadylane

Re: Salary Comparisons for Singapore international schools

Post by shadylane »

Is that Singapore or US dollars ? Does that include housing ?
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

All the top flight schools pay between 10 - 15K SG dollars per month and that includes housing. Make sure the school's health insurance covers your family needs or else you'll end up with a massive hole in your pocket.
johnsontee

Post by johnsontee »

fine dude wrote:
> All the top flight schools pay between 10 - 15K SG dollars per month and
> that includes housing. Make sure the school's health insurance covers your
> family needs or else you'll end up with a massive hole in your pocket.

Oh as I am a Singaporean , I don’t need any housing travel allowances. I am earning 7.5 K Singapore dollars per month. I know there is a difference because of the allowances but I think fair enough. Anything more than 7.5K per month is good enough for me.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi-
Your 25 years in Singapore means that you are close to retirement, probably have a good chunk of retirement in your CPF, and you can afford the risk of getting into the international school circuit. I think with all your IB experience, you'd be an asset. It does sort of depend on what you teach though.

I speak from having spent 25 years in Singapore myself, mostly as a PR. I was a teacher in an international school there, and even after retiring in my 60's, I still called Singapore "home", but accepted teaching contracts in 3 other international schools in other countries. It was a great experience traveling back and forth. One of my schools I taught in was in Hanoi, and I would fly back to Singapore every weekend on either Jetstar or Tiger Air. I miss that.

You're making about US$5,500 without the housing. I think you'd most certainly make that or more PLUS the housing in other international schools. Again, you are at the point in your teaching career where you can probably afford to take a risk.

Best of luck.
johnsontee

Post by johnsontee »

Thank you so much to hear that ! although haha I wonder how being close to retirement can be an asset To a school?
I am not Counting on my years of experience as an asset but upgrading with new skills and teaching practices by doing IB courseS online

One reason I am thinking of joining international schools is I don’t want to retire as soon as my government would want me to. I figure if I prove to be an asset to a school outside the government’s purview, I may have a longer runway.

Or I could be wrong. One won’t know until I venture out there. I just find that since I am still excited about learning to be another kind of teacher, do it when I still can. Albeit a little too old to have a change of career path
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

One thing to be aware of is that if you are in Singapore and applying to Singapore schools, you might be considered a local hire. That will impact some elements of your contract, such as flights home.
johnsontee

Post by johnsontee »

Thanks. I am aware of the disparity of salaries when compared with the expat teachers. It makes sense if my salary includes housing allowances, flights etc. I really don’t need such benefits. I am hoping I am not shortchanged because of my skin colour. That is the line I have to draw.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

It's not a question of skin color - you WILL be hired as a local hire which will mean that you will not get a housing allowance which makes you significantly cheaper to hire. For the second tier schools - you will not be getting more money than you do at the moment and don't forget that international student numbers have tanked in Singapore.

For the comment on skin color - I personally know quite a few teachers at multiple schools in Singapore who are a traveling spouse (both male and female). They have a dependents pass as a result. As their spouse has a job, they ALL get hired on local contracts.

I'm also aware of multiple schools in Singapore who have offered breaking of contracts to staff who wish to return home along with reneged on contracts with people starting for the 2020/21 school year.
johnsontee

Post by johnsontee »

Hi sciteach,
Pray tell the first tier and second tier IS in Singapore