How competitive would I be?

sciteach

Re: How competitive would I be?

Post by sciteach »

Taiwan is a fantastic place to live - but the other people here can attest that there are a few good schools (TAS, TES, KAS), then the rest.

For getting into one of the better schools - a PHD won't do that much to get you in - it's really about having the experience in Grade 11/12 with results to back it up.

Add onto the factor the corona ., the end of the recruiting season, the Taiwanese economy hurting which will affect the number of expats and local parents who can afford to send their kids to international schools. To put it simply - you won't get a job at a Tier 1 Taiwan school this year unless it's really late in the year and your in the right place at the right time.

Also be careful with mentioning that you want to come to Taiwan as they speak Chinese in interviews - specifically if it's not seen as a higher tier school. Do expect the potentiality of being looked over if your are of Chinese descent at some of the much lower tier schools in Taiwan - as some schools like to keep up appearances of "we have a teacher from <<INSERT ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRY>> who will converse with your child only in English.

Another thing is really do your research VERY WELL for some of the lower tier schools in Taiwan. Some are diamonds in the rough - some are so famous the people who have friends that have ever worked in any school in Taiwan have horror stories of one particular school and the figurehead that it's almost hard to believe. I won't mention the school here as it's in the public forum but a quick search will give you some ideas.....
adpdying

Post by adpdying »

Just to clear a couple of things up:

Firstly, I'm not looking to move next year, but the year after. So my aim is September 2021.

Secondly, I'm not Chinese, or of Chinese descent.

Anyway, it seems to be that I should try my luck with TAS, TES and KAS, but really only as a long shot. Then deciding if I try working up from a lower tier school in Taiwan, or putting in a few years on the mainland and trying to switch across.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

Note that almost no school in Taiwan starts in September. Think more like early-mid August for students and late July for teachers starting for the first time with induction
ILMathTeachr

Post by ILMathTeachr »

Is Hong Kong out of the question? I know Cantonese is the favored language, but Mandarin seems to be making inroads based on what I saw there last summer.
adpdying

Post by adpdying »

Yeah, Hong Kong isn't really going to be any good. They might have more Mandarin than they used from migrant labour, tourism and students, but your average man on the street is going to be speaking Cantonese. Getting around in Guangzhou can be hard enough.

I had come round to the idea of Beijing or Shanghai and was going to ask about appropriate schools in those two cities, but who knows now with covid...