QSI and Single Hiring

specialed

QSI and Single Hiring

Post by specialed »

I am fascinated by some of the countries that QSI has schools in these days. Do they interview and hire singles? Their website is confusing so I am posting here - on the one hand they say they hire singles and couples and make no mention of preferences, but in another section they say that they only hire singles as a last resort and prefer couples.

Anyone have any direct/indirect experience with them?
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

QSI does hire singles but I would refer to other references to QSI in this forum before contacting them. I think they prefer teaching couples to singles, housing is an issue in many countries, so couples are easier to place.
gengrant

Post by gengrant »

QSI does hire singles, but often they will try to pair them up with other singles as roommates to save on housing. I also know for a fact that some singles (specifically in Shekou) have been required to take in a boarding student to offset the cost of housing that student as well...the single teacher receives a small stipend to cover the cost of the student, but you basically give up a lot of personal freedoms acting as a surrogate parent.

Also, from what I've heard (firsthand, mind you) is that QSI prefers to hire singles under a local contract, not overseas.

If they do offer a contract, make sure to get EVERYTHING in writing from them...they will try to change things once you're at the school...in terms of housing especially.

Just my two cents worth.
specialed

Post by specialed »

Thanks for the replies! As someone I once worked for said, "If it isn't in the contract, it doesn't exist." I never leave for a job without a contract and I make sure that what was discussed in interviews is in the contract. No guarantee, but it does help. I won't sign a local hire contract so that is a red flag for me.

Great advice and thanks for the info!
Muffinman

Post by Muffinman »

Gengrant,
Please tell me more about the QSI Shekou school. Do they require all singles to share or just the local hires? I could potentially tolerate living with another teacher, but there is no way I would want to babysit a student. Anything else I should definitely ask questions about? Are there any positives and do most people seem happy there?

Thanks!
gengrant

Post by gengrant »

send me an email at gengrant5 (at) hotmail (dot) com and i'll be glad to respond candidly.

thanks.
llpaz

Post by llpaz »

Hi There,
I work at QSI and have for 5 years now and I have never heard of singles having to share housing. All our new singles coming into Kiev this year will have their own apartments. Singles in other QSI schools that I know of do not share housing either. Hope this helps.
walker

QSI

Post by walker »

If you are a single person, it is probably best to avoid QSI unless you get an overseas contract. QSI is living in the past in terms of the way it treats singles (and married couples for that matter . . . see comments below). There are many organizations that will give all of the benefits to employees regardless of their marital status. Also, QSI has some other policies that may be troubling for you personally. Many people have to hide personal choices (such as smoking) from their coworkers which leads to a dishonest workplace environment. QSI also asks about religion in interviews, and if you are not a Christian you either have to lie and say you are or go somewhere else! QSI claims to be non-denominational, but when you only hire Christians . . . My advice to anyone who is considering QSI would be to ask lots of questions and if your questions cannot be answered proceed with caution. Ask about the cost of living of where you are going and e-mail addresses of current employees to get a feel for what you are getting into. Also, ask a lot of questions about assessment and see if you are comfortable with their policies on that. My advice would be to keep an open mind, but proceed with caution. MANY QSI administrators are working outside of their area of expertise and there are many non-certified teachers in the ranks. Take that as you will :D my time at QSI was interesting but short-lived.
llpaz

Walker

Post by llpaz »

Are you sure you are not a runner rather then a Walker? What schools have you worked at to have all these bad comments on QSI. We have many single hired teachers that have full benefits and have been here for 8 years and more. I have worked for 2 QSI schools and have friends and family in 4 other schools that would not agree. I am just wondering where you are working so I can avoid that place when I transfer. I only have positive things to note about QSI here in Kiev. I also worked in Bratislava for 4 years. They have changed policy in the past ten years and are hiring more and more singles with benefits. I have no problem with the curriculum or assessment. I worked in Kuwait and there were some serious problems there. So I guess it is all opinions. But after 6 Years of QSI and 17 years of teaching I would highly recommend this organization to anyone.
That church comment is not even fair. Most teachers I work with do not attend church and we were never asked this question at any interview.
llpaz

Non Certified Teachers

Post by llpaz »

I have found non certified teachers in all my overseas experience in and out of QSI. My son's teacher is certified in High School but teaches Middle School to my son and he is ok. I would prefer a certified teacher but it is not always going to happen unless I move back home. Even in the big schools such as Shanghai American and Lima Peru they have teachers that are teaching out of their certified area. Our friends just got hired at one on these schools and he will be teaching out of his certified area. The school claims to hire only certified teachers and it does but then they have you teach out of your certified area??? Makes no sense to me. It happens at almost all schools. Our admin here in Kiev is certified with many years of experience. If anyone wants info on QSI or Kiev you may write to me personally.
gengrant

Post by gengrant »

I do agree that the religion comment is unfounded. There is an underlying current of spirituality, but I know of noone who has been asked their religious affiliation in an interview.

Most of the 'problems' associated with QSI are really problems with the people they install as Directors of specific schools. Once there are problems that arise with a director, Jim Gilson and QSI are negligent in that they do nothing to move those directors out, and teacher grievances are not addressed.

Overall, I would recommend QSI to anyone, especially those who are looking for a new post or looking for a place where they could transfer between schools (after only working with QSI for 2 years!)...I do stand behind the statements made regarding single teachers...those are first-hand reports. But don't let that be the only reason you would consider or not consider QSI...

As I said before, email me directly if you'd like.
walker

QSI

Post by walker »

Lapaz, let me start off by saying that I did not mean to offend you or any other QSI employee. When I was in China from 2005-2007, I found that most teachers were compassionate hardworking people. I certainly don't understand your comment about "runner" is that a joke? In any case, you make a good point about schools having certified teachers teach outside of their subject area. I too have found this in many international schools over the years. In fact, I found that certified teachers in the States will sometimes teach outside of their subject areas depending on the State in which they teach. While they may be teaching outside of their subject area, like your "son's teacher", they are indeed certified teachers. My experience with QSI, and the point that I was making, is that QSI has a policy of hiring adults who are NOT teachers at all. This is one of the reasons our family left QSI. In fact, I'm sure that you have noticed that QSI will hire people without degrees as per their pay scale which says "3 years of college". QSI is not a horrible organization, but comparing it to my current school in Shanghai is a joke! I was tired of worrying about non-certified teachers or local hires teaching core-curriculum to our children. I was tired of battling admin over these issues as well. Maybe this is not the case in your school? My comment was posted mainly as a response to the local hire questions and I did not intend on writing further. I did feel that you were not giving an honest answer to ISR readers though and for some reason you felt like you had to personally attack me. You also claimed that it was unfair to say anything about the policy that QSI has of hiring only Christians. I am sure that QSI would not deny this comment; in fact I'm sure that they think it is a good idea . . . why else would they do it? Maybe you were interviewed by hired help, I was hired by Jim Gilson and he DID ask if we were Christians. No big deal, but it is a question that is asked of at least some people QSI hires. Be fair and honest to the readers Lapaz, they deserve it . . . and if you are admin, shame on you for pretending to be a "teacher"!!! And by the way, QSI in Shekou does have many singles take borders and share space with other teachers . . . maybe you should base your comments on FACTS.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

As a matter of fact we were asked about our faith during our interview, so it does happen. At the school we worked at there was a feeling that a particular teacher wasn't given direct hire status because of her religious beliefs. Can this be proven, of course not, but perception can be reality.

As for uncertified teachers, we had an uncertified, brand new college grad teach in our IB program. Apparently there were a number of similar situations at other QSI schools that same year. There is a big difference between a certified teacher teaching outside their field and a person essentially walking in off the street and teaching higher level material.

I think gengrant is correct, the problem begins with the directors that QSI hires. These directors are not responsible to the parents of the school, they are responsible to QSI HQ and the old boys club that rules the roost. When problems begin to occur they can continue on longer than they would at other schools.
llpaz

Post by llpaz »

Last edited by llpaz on Thu May 08, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
llpaz

Re: To Walker

Post by llpaz »

[quote="llpaz"]Hi Walker,
Sorry I did not mean to offend you. I am giving accurate information and I am not an administrator. I was not asked about my religious views in my interview with Jim Gilson. I am sure they would prefer to hire Christians but they can not be picky anymore because of the market. No one has to lie. We were going to work for Concordia In Shanghai and they asked this question and yet this school has an excellent reputation. There is no religious education at QSI schools. They just want teachers as good role models thats why they have the non smoking rule. I know people in Shekou, and they do not share housing this is a fact. Please write the teachers in Shekou, I know the Director of instruction there and they can tell you the real facts. We have 2 single friends transferring all getting their own apartments. I know who you are overhere and we helped you to get your job in Bratislava. You seemed more then excited to be going there and now I read all your posts. Was it that bad with Matthew Lake? I do not remember you being concerned about the religious question before you interviewed in Iowa. I remember sitting with you and talking about the interview. So what if they asked you your religion? I am sure they would have hired you if you answered yes or no if you are good teachers. All I can say is Kiev is a good school, Bratislava was a good school. I have family and friends at Almaty, Baku and 2 schools in China that I can speak of honestly. Are there better schools? I am sure there are. But all in all it is everyone's opinion. We have many happy teachers here and highly certified administrators. Maybe in the smaller schools this is different. Share where you worked in China so we know! I have not run into any teacher that does not have a college degree in QSI. The reason for the 3 year step on the scale is because some countries such as Holland have 3 years of college instead of 4.
In Kuwait a friend of mine was promoted to Asst. Principal with no qualifications, not even a degree in admin so this is a concern woldwide not just in QSI schools. All of the admin I have been in contact with all have degress in Administration.
So maybe some of these issues pertain to specific schools. I am tired of QSI getting this religious reputation when they do not even teach religious instruction and no one I know even goes to church. We are catholic and do not hide this but do not flaunt it either. THE FACTS-QSI hires Christians and non christians. They are looking for people with good morals thats it. FACT - Singles get their own housing. Two singles at our school share because they wanted to live together, they are both older single ladies and made that choice. I am being fair and honest in my post. I think my information is accurate and true and comes from working with the organization for 6 years.
Last edited by llpaz on Thu May 08, 2008 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.