Normal?

MMMC

Post by MMMC »

Shansar-
Thank You for the details. I'm happy to know you all do not regret the experience. I need to hear this so please post the rest of your experience when you have more time. It's always a plus when there is diversity on this board. For me, knowing firsthand what teaching couples w/kids have experienced is really encouraging. Professionally speaking, we know we have the credentials to be great candidates. The ages of our children are a whole other matter.
A few questions-
*if you are on a compund (and I believe you are), did this make the transition easier as a family?
*again, if you are on a compund, is it difficult to work with and live among coworkers?
*is the time off the same as the american school systems? (winter/spring break, summer) We live in the south west.
*did you find travel to be cheaper from where you are?
*I read these boards often and I know there are people who are financially motivated and others who just want to see the world. Question is- in your experience/opinion, are the top salary/package schools more high stress than your average american public school?
*finally, was it worth the money, experience, or both?

Blessings to you and your family for a safe journey home.
Last edited by MMMC on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
shansar

Post by shansar »

Hi MMMC sure wish we could PM or I could get your email somehow. Hate to
bore the rest with the story and would love to help you out. Let me know if you have another way to contact?

Yes as for this experience it has been amazing to say the least. We went through all of the emotions that we had read about on this helpful board. We were homesick, had culture shock and really got to figure some things out as a family. We leaned on each other.
We didn't at all go into this with the idea we wanted to put away $. So we weren't really looking for that. Ironically we ended up with a very generous package. Got some great advice NOT to limit yourself when you are searching or talking to different schools. Just because you don't think you are a good fit, it is a great idea to take another look and have an open mind. That really is how we ended up here cause I guarantee you we never would have picked this place to begin with. Ended up loving it though.
Young kids shouldn't limit you at all. Our situation was unique back home because we didn't need childcare as our parents were so kind to be able to help us out. Here many of the teachers have Nanny's and they are wonderful with the kids. I am sure that isn't the case everywhere but here it certainly is. So that shouldn't limit you.
Stress compared to back home? You know there is high expectations. We personally loved it as there are great resources and so many opportunities to reach the kids and make a difference. We also have pretty low class sizes so that sure changes things a bit. But yes there are high expectations and I think so much of it would obviously have to do with the Principal or school director. Ours is very supportive so it has been great.
Vacations here for us were similar to the states as far as around the same time.
Compound - yes without getting too specific. That can be a challenge. There was a learning curve here but once we got it figured out it was wonderful. Can't recommend it enough for families. I guess I should say our family loved it. We just wanted more time with our kids. We got that and were able to slow things down. Great opportunity for that.
Travel- This is a huge bonus. Very cheap to get around and that is even with a family of five. Yes unbelievable the places that we have been able to visit. People back home can't believe it.
Ichiro - Without going into it too much yes the decision to not come back was heart wrenching and I still worry that we made the wrong choice.
If we didn't go back we were then committed to teaching Overseas. With the economy the way it is that made us nervous as we promised our middle schooler that they would be able to go to High school in the states.
Our school is K-8 so that was inevitable. Trust me SO much went into this and the door is still open to return. I have the bug!
I am very sorry if this isn't the right forum for this post but I will say I am so thankful for a forum such as this and great members. I learned so much from all of you and am so thankful that we did this. I'll never forget how jealous I was of what so many of you guys get to do. You get a chance to teach and see the world. Sorry but that is cool!
MMMC- if you figure out a way I can get ahold of you I'd love to help you out.
Thanks for everything you guys! :)
derPhysik

Thanks for the story!

Post by derPhysik »

I don't think anyone on this forum is ever bored by a nice teaching story. That's why we're all here!
Good luck, and keep checking forums. Your experience is valuable.
redrider

Post by redrider »

Definitely IS the place for positive stories. People are free to go to another forum or post something cranky on the other side of the ISR wall. Incidentally, be sure to post a review, it gets a little unbalanced over there, between the utterly scr3wed and the glowing reports from administrators...

Would love to hear you talk more about the "compound learning curve". Advice? I've never lived on one before.
MMMC

Post by MMMC »

Shansar-
thank you for sharing details of your experience with us.
Last edited by MMMC on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaidonlogger

Post by kaidonlogger »

Definitely one of the best posts I have read on this forum. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Would love to hear more about compound life as well for families.

We are getting ready to take our two kids overseas within the next two years . We did the international circuit for 5 years when we didn't have kids. That time we did it as a teacher and a trailing spouse. Now it will be as a teaching couple with two kids.

Love hearing stories about the positive impact on family life. I thought E.B White had a great comment when he said it was a gift you give to your kids. I couldn't agree more.
shansar

Post by shansar »

Thanks you guys for the positive feedback. If I can help anyone from our experience it would be the least that I could do.
Compound living is definitely not for everyone but we have loved it! The best part is that we all live so close together and the worst part is that we all live so close together! It takes some getting used to but it really is just perfect for a family with children. Funny how the year goes by and just when you are getting camp fever (which you will get!) it is time for a well timed family vacation. :)
teacherbeth

Post by teacherbeth »

hello,

thanks for your amazing stories. you sound like us right now - family all around us, jobs, two kids, and sitting on the fence trying to decide for september 2011. and i hear you about the RESEARCH. i've been looking at everything.

i'd love to ask you some more questions about where you were, etc. i wish the pm feature wasn't disabled! it would be great to be able to talk to someone one on one about the job fair situation and everything. i always feel like i'm just finding bits and pieces of information different places, and you always have to be wondering if the people who post the reviews are just bitter.

thanks again,

Beth :)
the Hippo

Yes, it is quite normal.

Post by the Hippo »

Having taught in Kenya, Saudi, Egypt, Romania, Qatar and the UAE, I would say YES, of course it is perfectly normal to get nerves, butterflies, stage fright or whatever you want to call it. "Are we doing the right thing? Are we being irresponsible? What about medical care? Our pensions?" Yes, all of those questions pop up whenever my wife and I move to a new school. But we still love teaching in international schools and it is so much more exciting than staying in the boring, cold, expensive UK, paying lots of taxes, watching the rain and listening to colleagues talking about the Brits losing at football, cricket, tennis and every other game we have invented but are no good at.
meghan2601

nerves

Post by meghan2601 »

I had traveled and lived abroad before college and always wanted to head out again. I applied (used TIE online) interviewed and ended up being offered a job in CHina. THis time I was a single mother of a 7 year old with mild special needs. The scariest thing I had ever done was walking onto the plane in NYC and waving good bye to my parents. My daughter asked " where exactely is CHina again?" and I thought this was a mistake. We got off the plane in Shanghai and had no idea what to expect. It has been a fantastic year in China !! Today we are heading to Thailand for spring break. Life can't get too much better !!
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

What a great posting. My kids are all grown and I am leaving for first overseas post in Aug. Your story was touching and gives me courage as well to make this huge life transition. Thank you so much for sharing.
emilysue1212

Thanks!

Post by emilysue1212 »

Getting ready to teach abroad for the second time. Glad I've done it once so that I remember that the few months of stress and heartache leading up to the big move are not indicative of the how the actual experience of living and working abroad will be. Still get jitters, though, and family pressure doesn't help. The thing that's getting to me right now are the guilt trips coming from my family--"We're not getting any younger," "When are you going to have kids?," "What if we die while you're gone?" (yes--that's really been cited as a reason for us sticking close to home). So nice to be able to come to this forum and find like-minded folks who know how amazing it can be to teach abroad. So--thanks! :)