Normal?

shansar

Normal?

Post by shansar »

Contracts are signed and we have resigned our positions. Now looking at the list of things to do to get ready and we or I should say I am overwhelmed. Also now starting to think what in the heck are we doing???!! I really feel good about the School and the place we are going. Not to be a wimp but just scared to leave all of our family and friends here for the uncertain. Two years sounds like such a long time.
Is it normal to feel this way? Yeah say No and really scare me. I would sure appreciate some words of wisdom! Thanks for taking the time!

:?
specialed

Post by specialed »

I don't know about normal, but I felt the same way. I even felt that way after I got to my posting. It is an adventure and it is not North America. Having said that, it can be lots of fun. Plan out your travels, talk with your colleagues when you get to your school. If you start feeling down, plan your next vacation! I have traveled more in my few short years of international teaching than I have the whole rest of my life. See the sights, get to know the students and locals and you'll have a better time. Being flexible and having a good sense of humor will carry you far!

Good luck and enjoy your travels!
TexianTravel

Post by TexianTravel »

Completely normal. Leaving everything and everyone you have ever known for a far distant country where you probably don't even speak the language and NOT being nervous, now that would be weird!
E.B. White

you'll be fine

Post by E.B. White »

The feeling doesn't go away - but you'll be fine. My first move was from Iowa to Taiwan in 1981 - I was single, out of the US the first 18 months, and made maybe two phone calls home - on holidays...just wrote letters a lot. Now, my wife, two children and I are moving from Venezuela to Saudi Arabia. The world has become so much smaller - e-mail, Skype, cheap phone calls, and we are planning our trip home for Christmas to see snow for the first time in four years. My biggest worry was when we left Massachusetts for Venezuela, and we sold our house; the house sold within twenty-four hours at a very respectable profit, but my lord, I never thought we would empty out that house of everything. Giving our dog up was hard, too. But - you will be fine. You have made a good decision, and you will be forever better as a result. If you are a couple, it will be a terrific adventure together; if you have kids, you are giving them an incredible gift. Good luck!
shansar

Post by shansar »

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I really need it right now. I really think the thing that weighs on my mind is with three small children and having them leave their friends/family and yes even our dog. I guess deep down I really believe that we are giving them a gift and that is what keeps me pushing on. I also keep looking at all the things we are going to miss out on in the next couple of years here rather than the places we are going to see and things we are going to do. Really looking for this to bring us closer as a family. While it is also hard to leave our family as they are all living here near us.
This whole darn thing started while reading this forum and all of your different stories. I envied you guys and here we are! I haven't been overseas in my life so let the adventure begin. Thanks you guys.
Such a nice group of people!
:D
I do have to add the list of things to do and get ready sure isn't such a piece of cake! Yikes!
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Shansar

I too have dragged three kids overseas, on two different occasions. I agree with everything that has been said on this thread, especially those points regarding your kids and the experiences that they are about to have. However, I have to warn you that getting there, wherever that might be, is only half the battle and you and your partner need to be prepared for all the challenges that are going to come up. Acclimating to a new culture, new climate, new school, new friends can take some time and everyone deals with it differently. The point I guess I am trying to make is that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel and new experiences need to be given time to pan out. Good luck
Beemarcus

our best years

Post by Beemarcus »

Very good years.
Last edited by Beemarcus on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
hippogriff51

Normal?

Post by hippogriff51 »

YES! We left our 18 year old son and all family 5 years ago. We sold our house and stored our art work and furniture our son didn't want. Scary???YES! But it's also the best thing we ever did. We can help our son financially and send for him when we travel. First summer was 28 days across Europe from Romania to Brussels. We lived in Hostels and took the trains. We sent for our son and his best friend who had lived with us during their Senior year of HS. We've had our son in many countries, somethiing we couldn't afford in the states! Scary but incredible! I'm sure you'll love it!
redrider

Post by redrider »

It seems to me that when you're making this change to a culture that is completely new, and possibly dealing with an alphabet you won't know, that you need that initial enthusiasm and excitement about the place you're going. As much as you have of it, the better, I think.

If you can get your nervous energy toward helping you prepare (learning the curriculum if new; reading up on the history and culture of the place and even choosing which travel/tourist books for your destination- you will never have as good a selection to physically look through before buying and carrying as now; language preparation if possible, same story with the book selection) If you can channel your energy towards preparations you'll be in a better place mentally to handle the bumps that come.

Good luck!
redrider

P.S.

Post by redrider »

Moving always overwhelms me. Even if it were down the street.
shansar

Post by shansar »

So funny to read this as this was me 2 years ago! Oh and thing have changed. We did it and I am SO thankful that we did. We have had some wonderful vacations and have been to take our kids to places that we never thought we would ever see. The teaching part has been amazing and I am so thankful that we have taken this wonderful journey.
Unfortunately with the economy and the fact that if we didn't return to the states we would NO longer have a job we have been forced to return back to our old school district. It has been one of the toughest decisions that we have ever made and we are sure leaving the door open to return to Overseas. This has been one heck of a ride! I still am in shock that we have done it. So many emotions and now I personally find myself nervous to return to what we used to call home!
Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement! You guys are great! :)
MMMC

Post by MMMC »

Shansar-
without saying where you are/were, are oil schools really as lucrative as some of us are led to believe? Also, as a 3 children teaching couple, what were some of the most difficult things you've dealt with? I've followed your postings for the last 2 years and would really like some advice from couples with small children. Anything you would do differently? Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by MMMC on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shansar

Post by shansar »

Thanks for the responses.
MMMC- I would say that the amount of $ you are figuring is about right. Between $250-300 for 5 years is what we came up with. We were able to save one of our salaries and use the other.
Ichiro you always have great words of advice and have sure helped a lot of people.
I'm not sure if anyone asked but I can give a quick blurb on the experience that we have had and what all came with our decision to do this. Please don't hold the grammar vs. me as I am don't have much time now to post but I sure do want to respond and would love to help someone that is on the fence trying to decide to look into Overseas or not.
When we came here we were just normal teachers from the states. My wife and I had both taught elementary school for 17 years and both sets of our parents live within 15 miles from us so a very close family. The community and especially our friends were shocked. What the heck are you guys doing? Indo where? The thing that stirred it up for me was looking at pictures of the kids and realizing how fast they were growing up and how quick life around us was getting. It was a whirlwind with sports, activities and going here to there. We spent more time in the mini van than home! We had talked about teaching overseas "someday" and that night I began my search to looking into doing just that. I researched for HOURS! Read posts from everyone and everywhere! Talked to my wife and we agreed to at least go to a job fair and see what was out there.
We got our resume's together and decided that the ISS/CIS fair that was in Seattle that year was the one that we would attend as it was close to where we lived. Worst case scenario we had a night in a hotel together and could turn it in to a stress free date. Yeah that didn't happen. (more on that later!) So we got our resume's updated and then I started inquiring to schools that were going to the fair. At first we didn't hear much but as the fair got closer we really started getting emails and even had a phone interview.
Went to the fair and another gal that we taught with went as well as a single person. The Fair was amazing! It was run very well and both ISS & CIS were great. We had a folder there and our folder the first night was FULL of schools that asked us to interview with them.
That night I got on the internet and searched to find out everything I could about not only the location but the school. Heck I couldn't spell half the places that were looking at us! :)
Next day was a whirlwind tour of interviews. Found I even fell in love with my wife of 10 years even more so as we were interviewed together. Felt like we were a team and really went though the whole deal. At the end of the day when we went to the cocktail . we were beat! We had 7 job offers and were completely confused on what we were going to do. How exciting but also how nerve wracking! NOT at all arrogant as thinking that we were so good and that is why we had all of these offers I just think we were a pretty good fit for what some of the schools were looking for. I know point out that we our a couple so that helped as well. Though I must add that our friend that was single elementary ended up with 9 offers and got one at the Social to make it 10! She ended up going to Oman. So schools were really looking for people. Obviously the timing was right.
NOT much sleep that night as I was a nervous wreck and just wanted to go home! I thought what have I done??? Read more posts on this great forum. Every time I read it I always thought how much I envied you all and what you were doing. How cool is it that you get to travel around the world meet new people and take amazing vacations??? I wanted that for my family and for us. I really wanted to show them the world a bit. I say that but I myself had NEVER been Overseas in my life!
Well the next day in Starbucks we talked to quite a few experienced Overseas teachers to get there words of advice. Talked to our parents and then made one last call to our 3 children ages- 5,9 and 11 to get there scoop on things. They all said they trusted we would do what was best and the 11 year old said I can't believe I am saying this but I think it would be kind of fun. Well I am done with my cocoa and all I want to do now is go back to my old school as I am coaching a game that night. We now have it narrowed down to the one school that happens to offer every single thing that we had asked and prayed for. Premium on family time as that is what this place is all about. I am just getting ready to leave and my wife grabs my hand, looks me in the eyes and says "Let's do it!". I get goosebumps and can't believe it when I hear myself say .........ok! We sign the paperwork and then all the preparing begins along with all of the questions!
That was a whirlwind and a TON of work. We kept our house and had to figure out what to do with our cars, pets and other things. Hard on our parents as they are so close to us and adore their Grand kids. I still feel bad for taking my Mom's only 3 grandchildren and the fact that none of them complained a bit made me feel even worse. They were great about it. They appreciated the fact that we felt we were doing what was right for our family.
The bonding started with us and 15 suit cases at the airport. It continued with a 17 hour flight that the kids were great about. The feeling we got walking off the plane in Singapore was indescribable. It felt like us vs. the world! We were really off on a family adventure! Never felt so worried or so close to my wife and kids!
I am sorry but I have to cut this short but I will get back to the rest of this soon. Prep work I have to do! Also sorry that this is so long. Happy ending coming soon. Hope you all are well and sorry it is so darn long.
MMMC if you have other questions I would love to help you if I can.
:)