Is Teach-now or Teacher Ready worth the time or money?

KPan

Is Teach-now or Teacher Ready worth the time or money?

Post by KPan »

So what's with these alternative certifications?

I am going to start job hunting next year, hopefully in Latin America. I'll have five years of teaching, two of which were overseas. I teach physical science, Biology and ELL science but could also do Chemistry since I have some experience teaching it and have passed the Chem Praxis (if someone is willing to take me). I can also do middle school if needed. I have a traditional teaching cert.

I'm wondering about an alt cert for my husband. When we went overseas last time he came as a trailing spouse but ended up doing some long term subbing then got hired as a part time elementary PE teacher. But to be honest the trailing spouse thing was a hard sell initially and I was turned down by many recruiters because of this (and lack of experience since I was right out of college). So he is considering whether he might like to try his hand at teaching upper elementary. He has a Bachelors of Liberal Arts with and emphasis in Environmental Studies and an AA in energy technology (not super relevant) but no teaching coursework. We aren't really into spending much on a traditional program either.

Would it be a waste of time and money to try Teach-now or Teacher ready? I don't even know if he is eligible for these without any course work in education?? What is the demand like these days for teachers? It seems like there are fewer jobs from the first time I was applying in 2012 so maybe chances are too slim these days. We also have a toddler that would be trailing too...eek two dependents! Any advice?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Is Teach-now or Teacher Ready worth the time or money?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I'm far from an expert on the subject but my understanding is that they both lead to teacher certification that is generally accepted in the int'l school community. If that is the case then it could definitely be worth it if it turns you from a teacher with two dependents into a teaching couple with one dependent.

Much better financially and a much easier sell for schools. Some schools might balk at hiring him with limited experience but with certification and some sub experience (and you as the anchor partner of the team) it would greatly expand your potential opportunities.

There seem to be plenty of jobs around but certification with him would definitely be helpful. Someone else might come along to address your specific questions about the programs (e.g. eligibility, etc).
KPan

Post by KPan »

Thank you for the good thoughts on this subject. I'm glad to hear that you have seen plenty of jobs out there. I haven't signed up for any recruiting agencies yet so I have only been perusing school websites so I probably am not seeing the extent of the jobs available.
KPan

Post by KPan »

Can anyone else weigh in on this? Thanks in advance to those out there in the international world!
marieh

Post by marieh »

I moved from ESL to an IT position (math) using the Teacher Ready program. It was, for me, definitely worth the time and cost, as it allowed me to apply for positions that would have otherwise been out of my reach. I will be honest - the first offers I received after getting my teaching cert were not from the best schools. However, after a few years of post-cert experience I had my pick of destinations.
traveler26

Post by traveler26 »

I think it's worth it. It is an alternative route, but it ends in a US state certification just like any other teacher. You need a certification to be considered for a worthwhile job. My husband had a similar situation and has joined Teach Now- he was never a teacher and is teaching PE without any credentials at my school. After joining (and proving his talent as a teacher), he has been offered a position in his subject area for next year. He does not have a background in education and that didn't matter when joining Teach Now. The difference as far as jobs is that he has both an undergraduate degree and a masters degree in his subject area, which is apparently an area hard to find teachers in. So, once he gets that certification and works for a couple years in his new role, I think he'll be quite marketable, which makes it good news for us as a teaching couple. But, without the certification, many schools wouldn't even consider you a candidate, which is why I think it's so important. I don't necessarily think he'll list Teach Now on his resume- what will be on there is his US certification in the subject area.
KPan

Post by KPan »

Thank you for your thoughts. Good advice too!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It would be a significant financial as well as resource investment, which at this point your spouse really doesnt have to do. They already have some experience and I presume a reference from someone in leadership (or can get one), what they need to do is check the "legal" box. the route I would advise is to look at assessment pathways to a credential. The two prominent ones would be:

1) Utah (UT) APT level one credential. You complete an application after passing the PRAXIS content subject matter test in elementary in this case and then receive a renewable 3 year credential. This process requires a CRB as part of the process so has a longer period of time, but the credential can be renewed indefinitely.

2) Massachusetts (MA) Provisional license, this credential would effectively be a lifetime credential requiring no PD or renewal. It requires more esoteric requirements for primary than UT though, you would have to take the MTEl exams which are less available than PRAXIS exams, you would also have to take 4 exams as opposed to the combined PRAXIS elementary exam. These would be communications, general curriculum, maths, and reading exams. Lastly you would have to complete some form of coursework or seminar or other PD on SPED in the general classroom. You do not have to undertake an external CRB.
It would be a lot easier for him to pursue General Science or PE, both would require only 2 exams and no coursework or seminars.

Neither of these pathways would get you QTS or be transferable elsewhere. Teach Now and Teach Ready are both strong skills based pathways. The difference being what access to a classroom your spouse has, if they have an appointment and a classroom already Teach Now is the stronger program, if they can only get a classroom for a week than Teach Ready is the option to go with. There are some small differences between them, Teach Ready uses a self paced model and Teach Now uses a cohort model, so there are some schedule and timing differences. Both cost about the same and Teach Now has more interaction with other members of the cohort. They will both provide you a professional grade credential Teach Now for 4 years Teach Ready for 5 years that can be renewed with PD and would also get you QTS or allow you to move them to a more IE friendly jurisdiction in time. Both of them deliver the theory portion in essentially the same format. Teach Ready uses the FTCE exam which you can only take in the US, Teach Now uses the PRAXIS which you can take globally.
Another option is a PGCEi which has Unis that have no field work requirement at all, which then after two years of teaching experience in a classroom your spouse can apply for and get a CT initial credential and then use that to apply for QTS and standardize the credential through MS and then though NJ. You could also use this pathway to standardize the MA or UT credentials described above as well.

In general if your spouse can demonstrate competence and proficiency and success in the classroom the route employed to get credentialed and the type of credential doesnt really matter, if they want you and they like your spouse and can use them then the details of the credential arent very relevant, all of the options above (with the exception of the PGCEi by itself) license an IT to provide instructional services in a regulated K12/KS environment. Even the PGCEi is accepted as a working credential in lower tier ISs.

PE (PHE/PSPE) is not a high needs area in IE, there is no difficulty for an IS in recruiting PE ITs.

Recruiters can easily determine by examining your resume that you havent listed a Uni for your EPP/ITT program, they will thus know you obtained the credential though an alternative pathway.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I received my certification through Teacher-Ready. I completed all the course work overseas and went back for the testing. It works for UNI, Search and anywhere I apply. I thought it was a very cost effective program and worth looking into if you need certification.
agreed2

Post by agreed2 »

@psyguy I've seen that you've talked about the Utah level 1 and the Massachusetts Preliminary licence on several pages. I'm planning on doing one or the other ASAP. But I have a few questions that I hope some people in this community can weigh in on.

1. Are either of these certificates/licences (MA or UT) better than the other? Would an employer prefer one over the other?
2. Would employer see these as lesser certifications? All the job postings I see require licences. Are these enough?
3. Do employers care about how you go your certification? Would they prefer someone who went through Teacher Ready/Teach Now because of the preparation program?

Thank you in advance!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I have had friends do the TeachNOw out of DC and end up at decent schools. Worth looking at and for 6K, not unreasonable and can do your exams almost anywhere they do Praxis.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@agreed2

The MA Preliminary is now the Provisional credential.

In response to your inquiries:

1) It depends how you define better. The UT credential has a lower cost of entry. Its one exam and its PRAXIS which is available world wide. The UT disadvantages are the relatively short renewal period (every three years) and that you can only get a single subject (either a single secondary subject or primary). The MA provisional credential has the benefit that its effectively a lifetime credential that you will never need to do PD for and you can dd multiple subjects. However its a credential that costs more has more exams and more travel requirements. Lastly the UT credential has better face validity it says professional educator and just has level 1 on it, as opposed to the MA credential which clearly states "provisional". MA however has slightly higher status than UT.
They probably dont care, if they look them up they will know they are entry grade credentials as opposed to professional grade credentials.

2) Depends what they find out. Most wont even bother with looking up a description of the credential. Does that mean some recruiter or leadership may have a negative opinion of them, sure.
Yes, They make you legal. Both credentials authorize for the delivery of instructional services.

3) Generally in terms of credentialing pathways if leadership does have a bias, its for traditional academic programs over skills based pathways. Skills pathways like Teach Now and Teach Ready are stronger programs. A recruiter ill now very quickly you didnt get your credential through an academic/traditional pathway.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

agreed2 - your first job, or your first couple of jobs, will possibly be impacted by where/how you got your certification. After that, it's what you've done in the international or domestic classroom, not where/how you got certified. Ten years down the road, all admin will care about it you are certified and can actually do a solid to amazing job teaching.

Good luck!
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Concur with @SJ, here and how you got credentialed is only going to a factor at all early in an ITs career, at the intern and entry class level. After a few years they care about what you can do in the classroom and if your credentialed.
agreed2

Post by agreed2 »

@psyguy thank you so much for your detailed response! I am more drawn to the structure of the Massachusetts certification exams so I've decided to go that route. You mentioned in you comment the MA cert. requires travel? How so? I've contacted my local Pearson VUE testing center and they said that they offer the exam.