Weirdest or Strangest Things heard at an interview

specialed

Weirdest or Strangest Things heard at an interview

Post by specialed »

I thought that we need to lighten things up around here so here are a couple of pretty funny things I've heard at interviews.

"Kuwaiti people like Americans more than Americans like Americans."

After talking with a school for almost 2 months and no communication from the school despite my emailing them numerous times, I decided to email them and tell them that I was no longer interested in the job. Thank you, but I need to move on. I then get an email back asking me why I have changed my mind and why am I going back on my word. When I responded that I hadn't changed my mind, I was never offered a job, he then told me, "Well what if I offer you the job now?" I passed on the job offer but it was pretty weird!

"Bring lots of Immodium with you or you'll be riding the porcelain Honda."

Anyone else have any weird or funny stories?
Overhere

Children

Post by Overhere »

My wife and I had all but sewn up jobs in the Grand Caymans. After months of correspondence and 1 interview we sat down for the second interview and the director mentioned our children. We said yes we have three children and his jaw visibly dropped. Apparently the Caymans had a law prohibiting new residents from having more than two children. That interview was over and we continued to interview with other schools, successfully fortunately.
Last edited by Overhere on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Didn't do enough research on Concordia Shanghai School.
This was just to arrange an interview but after many questions they asked if myself and my fiance were married. We said no, not yet. They said "Well sorry, we won't take you unless you're married". See ya.
Since then heard stories about their "ethos" and glad we didn't even get a look in!
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

I was interviewing for a job in the Philippines. The interviewer came late smelling of cigerettes. We sit down for a talk. He asked a question and then leans in real dramatically for the answer. He did this over and over. Freaked me out.

I also was grabbed by some men from Saudi Arabia at a job fair. They told me they had the perfect job for me: 5th grade Math and Science.
"But I teach History and English" I said. You will be perfect.
"Will I like the job?" No no, you will hate it the kids are horrible.
"Will I be able to meet many Saudis and have a social life?" No no, the Saudis hate foreigners. But there are many nurse in Riyadh. They are from the Philippines. We can hook you up. Strangely enough, I didn't take the job.
Neptune

Great!

Post by Neptune »

Ok seriously these are better than great. I hope this thread grows and I'll add to it as soon as I an
LOL Neptune Thanks for the giggle! :D
kimbop

weird interview question

Post by kimbop »

I was interviewing with a school in Bahrain. The guy told me to close my eyes, and I did. Then he asked me to keep my eyes closed and describe the pattern on his tie. I couldn't. I hadn't been looking at his tie. I opened my eyes and he insisted that I should have been able to describe his tie because I had looked down at it multiple times. Um, no I hadn't. I had looked down a few times, as I was taking notes on things he said and checking my list of things I meant to ask him. If he didn't notice my pen and notepad, why should I have noticed his tie?
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

Interviewing with a school in Japan several years ago...

I was a single guy...

After 45 minutes of intense questions the guy gets up to get a drink while I'm in the middle of an answer. I finish and as he walks back he says, "Do you like Asian women?" I have no idea what to say so I umm and ahh for a second and then say "I find them attractive." He practically yells out, "then you're gonna love Japan!"

He then tells me that although married he wished he had had the opportunity to dabble.

I never worked in Japan.
Lagniappe

Post by Lagniappe »

These are hilarious! It is indeed a good thing to look at the humorous side of this process! :lol:

I think the strangest yet was when the head of school entered the 'interview area' of the hotel suite just after getting off of the toilette - the smell was rather 'potent' (I'm being tactful). In addition he was hungover (apparent from his breath drifting across the interview table), so although I took the job (it was thankfully his last year at that particular school), I barely made it through the fumes of the first encounter.
FatTire

Post by FatTire »

I was told I'd be perfect for the job in Lahore, but that she feared for my safety. End of that interview.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

At the 2008 IRC in New York I experienced the most bizarre interview of my life...

I walked in and was asked to sit down by the head of school (from a school in Vietnam - supposedly a pretty good school, too). He asked his first question, I answered it, then he asked his second question. A few seconds into my response he said "oh sh**, I'm late for our school presentation! Can you wait for me here or would you like to come down with me?" I said that I had another interview in a few minutes and wished him luck. I figured that was done with.

A few hours later I found a note in my folder from the same head of school that had walked out on me saying "I really enjoyed our talk this afternoon. We would like to offer you the position of..." Must have made a hell of an impression in those few seconds!

Crazy, right? Oh, and I didn't take the job...
suddenpaws

Post by suddenpaws »

Interviewed for a school in Cambodia with the Director at the BKK job fair a few years back, who spent 28 of the 30 minutes talking about his kids and what they were doing in the school because they were just so clever and amazing. Even got to the point that he took out their photos to show me. Every question he asked (minimal) he answered by saying what his kids would think of my answer.

Didn't go there, he was waaaaay too odd. Found out later that the guy was a nightmare to work for, so my instincts were right.

As a postscript, I was about to apply for a job at a new school recently, until I realised he was now the director there. Needless to say I didn't send the application; hearing another essay about his wonderful children was not worth the pain.
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

Interviewed with a school in Syria last spring where the director assured me again and again that the security situation was under control and that, really, Syrians liked their government and it was just a few factions that were causing trouble. Really, the city is one of the most beautiful in the Arab world (like that would somehow keep the lid on a civil conflict.)

I wasn't offered the post and am grateful for it.
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

LOLOLOLOLOL!!! Thanks Specialed, this is priceless! Now I won't be so shocked if I have a bizarre interview. I'm almost looking forward to the fair now!
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I interview for an advertised HS PE job off TIE in Asia. One minute into the interview it comes about that the opening is for a 1st grade position. I tell the guy, no thanks, I would die. The next day the HR sends me a contract for the job. I write back telling them this must be a mistake and I never hear back from them. Two months later they write back saying they are ready to book the arrangements for travel. A few years later a new teacher who worked at that school came to my current school and told me the school is a total disaster and things like this was common.