Firm recruiting in the UK

Georgeyporgey

Firm recruiting in the UK

Post by Georgeyporgey »

I'm totally new to TEFL.

I received an email from a firm offering to recruit me to train and teach in a school in China (Shenzhen). I've not got the qualifications that are normally asked for, but they say that they don't care, they just want native English speakers....They say they pay for accom, I pay bills taxes and tithes, food etc.

I've read some reviews of the organisation, positive and negative.

I've agreed to a phone interview and I wanted to ask the community, what sort of questions should I be asking them?

Thanks all
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

We dont really address a lot of TEFL type issues, you will find a lot more useful information in the forums at Daves ESL Cafe.

1) Your post mentioned training, so that is where I would start. Is the training just you teaching for free and a daily or weekly meeting of a teacher giving a presentation. Is their training certificate worth anything (Cambridge and Delta/Trinity are the gold standards). How many hours is the training (many ESOL vacancies want certificates that include real classroom experience and are at least 100/120 hrs, 210 is becoming more common)?

2) Salary ranges for ESOL range between RMB5K and RMB20K, Shenzhen isnt really expensive (compared to Shanghai), and its a little harder to go crazy with your money, but depending on your lifestyle and quality of living expectations you could be fine or you could be hurting.

3) Hours, and specifically teaching hours and contact hours. Teaching hours are how many hours or periods you are actually in front of a classroom delivering lessons. Contact hours include all the time you are obligated/required to be at the school/office and may include marking exams/papers planning, tutoring/office hours. Are you paid only for your teaching hours or all hours. Is there a limit on the contact hours (you want one). What does the school pay for overtime or hours teaching above your contracted teaching hours. Some schools will give you what sounds like an easy teaching load at a good salary but then find out you have a huge number of contact hours requiring you to be at the school for an 8-10 hour day but you are only teaching 2 contracted hours in that day, but you have 3 or more overtime classes/day paid at a really low hourly rate.

4) The housing accommodation is a serious issue. What kind of housing is it, is it a dorm, or shared housing and is it the typical concrete governmental/utilitarian type housing. Do you have to live in the supplied housing, can you take an allowance, or are you required to live in their housing?

5) Are you going to be legal? Are they going to actually get you a working visa and work permit? Some of these schools, tell you to come in on a tourist visa and they will convert it, and maybe they will and maybe they wont, and maybe they will if they want to keep you, and maybe they dont like you and they just keep your last months wages and you have to leave because youve been working illegally. Are they going to get you a student/study visa and your going to work on that?
Georgeyporgey

Re: Firm recruiting in the UK

Post by Georgeyporgey »

Hi, thanks for the above. Having thought about it over the last few days I think I can't let the opportunity pass me by, might see some of you over there!

1) I understand that there is an online section of the training and then 3/4 days at location before hitting the classes.

2) Salary is what it is....

3) This is good info, thanks!

4) I'm told that it's provided, it will be shared accom (with the other Anglo teachers and the supervisor?). Good shout on the allowance/requirement to stay in their accom, thanks.

5) I have to apply to the embassy directly, for a Z Visa, which I am lead to understand, is the working visa.

I will also (having read other similar posts in the forum) have to ask about medical insurances, dress code, holiday entitlements (And how they work) and how (and to whom) I pay my taxes/tithes....Anything else chaps n chapesses?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The training isnt going to be worth the paper the certificate 9if they even give you one) is worth. You can find all kinds of free/paid PD and online certificates in ESOl, its just easier to make your own certificate, and read an ESOL for dummies book, or skip the book.

If its shared with your supervisor forget it, start looking for a place of your own, as if there was no accommodation. You will always have to be on, if you have to reside with your supervisor. Depending on your flat mate and how many you might want to think of doing that anyway. You dont need much just a small apartment with a bed to crash, hot water for the shower, and space to relax. You essentially just need your own space. Depending on your flat mates and how many its likely one of them will be a spy for leadership.

Yes a Z visa is a work visa, but this is what may happen. Your paperwork gets delayed because you dont have all the qualifications, and since you have already bought your ticket and its close to departure they ask you to come on a tourist visa, which they will convert once you arrive. Then you get there and you wait and wait and wait until near the end of your tourist visa and either they do convert it, send you ona visa run, or they dismiss you and keep your last salary.

Theres nothing to ask about medical insurance, you wont really have any. Their "plan" if they have one will only cover major incidents (you pay for minor incidents yourself out of pocket), but if you ever have a major incident, they will just dismiss you and terminate the coverage, since its unlikely youd be able to work/return after something major.

Id ask about dress code, typically though its casual, but at most its a button down (maybe a tie on parent days). Either way you an get very cheap button down shirts and ties in Shanghai, they even sell them at convenience stores.

You will work whatever days, including holidays they tell you. Many ETs do work at least some holidays.

Your ES will make all necessary deductions, that doesn’t mean they will actually be paying anyone, but there are likely to be a number of deductions made that the ES won’t be able to explain very well or will be vague such as “Training Fee” and “Utilities” which may or not be accurate.
EllieSLP

Post by EllieSLP »

Everything PsyGuy said is spot on. Personally, I would pass on this opportunity. If you really want to come to China to teach English, you will find things a lot better. I'm not in the ESL profession, but I do live in Beijing and know quite a few people who do it for agencies that they semi like for good money (30,000 RMB +/month). The key is sifting through the crap and finding quality jobs. Good luck.
JoJoismybaby

Post by JoJoismybaby »

They don't care. If you are thin, white, and especially male from the U.S., Canada, or Great Britain they could give a damn. You will give them face, which is King in China. So, they will for sure jump through hoops to please you. I am speaking mainly of Language Schools that offer English classes. Your job especially with kids will be to dance, play and jump through hoops like a properly trained circus animal. The kids are amazing, and eager to learn! My advice is to get a professional teaching credential especially if you want to TEACH. Make sure you get a picture of the accommodations, because they will have no qualms lying to you. Make sure they abide by everything in your contract of you can leve. Also ask them if you ar getting a Z visa, which is basically a residence permit.

My experience in China soured me a bit on the country. However, I have friends that are thriving there. However, one is in Theatre and speaks Chinese like a native. One works for Concordia, the other The French International School, and another is in business (she also speaks Chinese like a native). Good luck whatever you decide.