deleted

sdakota

deleted

Post by sdakota »

deleted
Last edited by sdakota on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its a huge advantage, once early summer begins many EU ISs insist that applicants have an EU passport of currently valid working papers. A lot of upper tier ISs in France, Italy, Switzerland, etc once they find out you have an EU passport will arrange a short interview and make you an offer the same day.
sdakota

Re: Is an EU passport an advantage?

Post by sdakota »

That's great to hear. I was thinking any advantage I had by having it was offset by my lack of experience, making it equally as hard to get into Europe as someone with experience but no citizenship.
earthgirl

Post by earthgirl »

Hi Sdakota,

I completely agree with PsyGuy. My spouse and I both have EU passports and this completely made the job hunt much easier. In fact, at the job fair interviews I was swamped with offers from schools in Europe, even though that was not my first pick of continents at that time as I had already lived there and wanted something new. I met other teachers who really wanted to work in Europe and could not get interviews. At that point I did not have that much experience either.

The world is your oyster. Good luck!
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

How do put that on your CV, appropriately?

And what if the teacher has the EU passport, but the wife and kid don't? Does that change your desirability for the schools?
Britgirl

Post by Britgirl »

Freedom of movement: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/mov ... dex_en.htm

Your spouse and children have the right to reside in an EU country with you. IF you work in the country that of your citizenship, you would look at the immigration website for your country because rules are based on national law.

If you are going to work in another country, look up the same, but know that their right to live in another EU Member State is tied to yours and governed by EU law. You are legally required to register yourself within three months and prove that you can support yourself (in this case that you have a job). Your spouse/kids gain the legal right to stay through you. They would get residence cards as EU family members, and your partner would legally be allowed to work as well.You would also be entitled to local subsidies/school attendance/child support offered to nationals.

You will find plenty of information on this subject with a quick Google specific to the country that interests you, or you can write the EU infoline to ask specific questions if you are worried that your case is complicated.

-Knowledge gained from personal experience and studies in EU law...
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Thanks for that welcome piece of news, Britgirl!
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

So, what is the difference between having an EU passport and "working papers"? Is that a separate process?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Trojan

I would include in the first line/sentence of your accompanying introduction email/cover letter, that you hold an EU passport.

I generally agree with @britgirl, but you should just get your children and spouse their own EU passport based on your eligibility/citizenship, it makes the rest of the issues moot.

The difference between an "EU Passport" and "Working Papers" (work authorization) depends on the country both the immigrating and the emigrating country. An EU passport lets you cross borders and stay in the country. Working papers is the authorization for employment, everyone except citizens needs working papers. In some countries the difference between an EU passport and working papers is a couple hours at the local "tax" office applying for a National Identification Number (NIN) and registering your address. In other countries there are more challenges, limitations and restrictions. In the vast majority of those cases having an EU passport makes the process of obtaining work authorization much easier, faster, and simpler.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

sdakota

Would it help to have a US passport to live and work in the US?
aridion

Post by aridion »

^