package in SA (colombia specifically)

happydays

package in SA (colombia specifically)

Post by happydays »

applied for first international post. Is pay usually quoted in USD or local currency? can anyone give a USD for pay in tier 1 in Colombia? has it been a good experience? are you given specific housing or can you select your own accommodation? regarding flights home, is it usually a monetary amount included in monthly pay or is it a separate payment given twice a year? thx
sid

Re: package in SA (colombia specifically)

Post by sid »

Big breath, please.
There are many versions of "normal" and "usually" in international teaching. I'll try to help, but much of my advice boils down to "Stop looking for normal. Look at what you're being offered, and decide if it's a package you're happy to accept." Just because something is usual, or unusual, doesn't make it right or wrong.
Pay is often quoted in the currency of the school. They take in tuition in x currency, and base their entire budget around that. If the exchange rate to your home country changes, that will either be a boon or a loss. Part of the life we lead. The part of your salary that you spend in Colombia will still go as far, but what you send home may rise or fall each month.
Housing is up to the school, and so you will have to ask them. There are many different models that schools follow, at the low end by not offering anything for housing at all. It might be an allowance, it might be school-selected housing, it might even be shared housing. Best to ask.
Flights are most often either arranged directly by the school, or paid as cash once a year. Twice a year sounds fine too. I am not familiar with schools paying it out monthly, though I don't claim to have heard of everything.
Has it been a good experience? For me, absolutely, overall, yes, averaging out the highs and lows. Catch me at the wrong minute, not so much. But overall, it's been amazing. Over 20 years of amazing, and still counting.
happydays

Post by happydays »

thank you Sid, im at a bit of a loss with all this!!!! Are the packages negotiable or is it commonly, take it or leave it scenario? Looking forward to new horizons!!!!
sid

Post by sid »

Most commonly, there isn't room for much negotiation at all. Actually, usually pretty much none.
And if, as I'm guessing, you're in the starting years of your career, the offer is almost certainly a yes or no situation.
Negotiation is more common with highly experienced teachers in specialty subjects (DP Physics, anyone's?) and extra bits to offer, like coaching three sports in addition to creating the master schedule. Or for experienced admin types. Even in those situations, it can be tough to negotiate.