Abu Dhabi job offer. any good?

JoJo

Abu Dhabi job offer. any good?

Post by JoJo »

Hey guys, I've been offered a teaching job in Abu Dhabi. I know very little about UAE, just doing my homework now. so I was wondering whether there is someone who can give some tips?? I'm a certified teacher, non-native, holding a Bachelor's degree, I have around 8 years experience teaching;the pay is AED12000( around $3250), all flights, health insurance, visa and other papers covered, accommodation is provided. Work load is 25hrs/week, holidays are paid. Seems like a good deal to me but would like to know your opinion. I hear that Abu Dhabi is more conservative than Dubai and I'm a bit worried about moving around easily as a woman. I'm not too much into partying or going out; all I care for is a fairly decent place to stay (that has kitchen;) ) and a gym. Basically trying to save for my Master's..
Also, I am slightly put off by the length of the contract (2 years). What happens if I decide to break it in the middle? (Not that I am planning to but just asking out of curiosity)
Any tips would be largely appreciated! thx
vandsmith

Re: Abu Dhabi job offer. any good?

Post by vandsmith »

abu dhabi is fine. it may not be as liberal as dubai, but they are pretty close.
you should not have any issues whatsoever walking around as a woman. there are the obligatory stares and glares from some workers, but that's pretty much par for the course for any asian country. you can pretty much wear whatever you want - but most people show some respect for the culture and dress accordingly.

if you're not into the night-life, then you're not missing anything with regards to dubai. abu dhabi has plenty of fine bars, clubs, restaurants if you choose to go out.

housing is hit or miss. usually your school will set you up with accommodation for your first 2 years and then you're free to find your own place afterwards. the gyms in the buildings are generally crappy, small things unless you live in a newer building (like reem island). but there are many many gyms you could buy a membership at as well. the apartments you would be given would have a gas line for the stove.

the contract is normal for any international job. it takes a lot to get you over here, there so they want to keep you for a while. it's not so bad actually. if you break your contract, you don't get any flight money, or bonuses at the end. some people can't hack it, or something happens back home, and do run away. you will not receive good references though.

if you need more info, feel free to PM me.

v.
JoJo

Post by JoJo »

I sent a PM but not sure it went through?
Marz31

Post by Marz31 »

Jojo

I too will be moving to Abu Dhabi for a teaching post. PM me to discuss package.
sitka

Post by sitka »

I"m in AD. Feel free to message me with any questions.