China: Chengdu Shude High School

simone

China: Chengdu Shude High School

Post by simone »

Hello,

I received an offer from the international department of Chengdu Shude High School but cannot find a review of them here. I am wondering if anyone could give me advice on this school and on life in Chengdu in general. I am considering the offer, but it would really help to hear of someone who might know the school and /or has worked there before...

Thanks in advanced!

Simone
eion_padraig

Re: China: Chengdu Shude High School

Post by eion_padraig »

Hey Simone,

You might get lucky and find someone who has worked there. More likely, you will find someone who has lived and taught in Chengdu as there are a few international schools there these days. Someone should be able to speak to the general living conditions in the city. I haven't been out to Chengdu for many years. You'd best find someone who has lived there within the past 2 or 3 years. Cities change very quickly here in China.

But if you don't find someone who as worked at the school, I think you may find it useful to consider what others have written about working in Chinese high schools in general. Also, would you be working in an international division of Shude or for a company that is running the program on their behalf? I find that public or private Chinese high schools tend to be poorly run. You won't be given advanced notice of things whether it's vacation or schedule changes. Resources that are at the school can sometimes be hard to access because the person in charge of the resources (library books, copy machine, sports pitch) is acting as a little lord. Shude is a strong public school and if you get the regularly enrolled students there they would be hardworking. But sometimes the students for international programs are not the regularly enrolled students meaning they paid more to get into a school with a prestigious name. So you may not get the bright, hardworking students that attend the other programs at the school. Foreign teachers are very much an add-on to the school and schools often do little of changing how they operate to accommodate them. This would be in contrast to international schools in China that are solely for international students.

I think Sichuan is an interesting part of China, but it is far from the Eastern cities where you have a much easier time accessing Western goods. Granted Chengdu is going to offer a lot more than other cities in the region, but it will be a very Chinese experience. That could be good or bad depending on what you're seeking.

Good luck and congratulations on the offer.
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

This may be the school you are looking for.

https://www.internationalschoolsreview. ... hengdu.htm
Kyudoka

Post by Kyudoka »

Be careful there are three different international programs that are run at three different campuses of Shude in Chengdu. Chengdu Shude has three different branches, one downtown, one in eastern Chengdu around Guahuangua avenue, and one far out near the airport. The downtown Shude has a mixed international program, the eastern chengdu shude has an AP program run by Dipont education China, and the one near the airport has an IB/AP program. This program is run by a small chinese company, and the location is far from downtown Chengdu. pm me for more information.