Request from a school that I did not apply

dolphin

Request from a school that I did not apply

Post by dolphin »

I got an email the other day from a well know school in the UAE that they have reviewed my CV and would like to set up an interview. I never sent my CV there and I am not really in the market for a new job. Has this happened to anyone here?
Lexie

Re: Request from a school that I did not apply

Post by Lexie »

Yes, I have had several schools contact me this way. I belong to ISS and I popped up in their searches. One I went with-I took their offer for an interview- and got down to one of two people for the job which was an excellent one at a great school. I didn't get it. The other emails I just ignored. I wasn't interested in them and hadn't applied to them in the first place. They were also good schools but didn't like the locales of them-Mexico and Oman.
sid

Re: Request from a school that I did not apply

Post by sid »

If you're not in the market for a job, you have to ask how they got ahold of your CV, and if in fact they really did. If you're registered with ISS or Search or whatever, as an active candidate, then it's easy - they got your details there. But if you're not an active candidate, even if you previously were, then schools can't see anything about you - you effectively don't exist.
Or maybe they saw something on linkedin, if you have a profile there. Maybe someone at the school knows you somehow, though you'd expect they'd have mentioned it if they did.

But if you can't explain how they got your CV, you have to wonder if it's a scam. These seem to be getting more common. Easy enough to tell, if you have your wits about you - a too easy process, a too alluring package, a rush to commitment, because sooner rather than later they have to ask you to give them something of value: pay a fee for "visa processing", provide passport details or even mail your passport....

If you're the least bit interested in the position, I say have the interview. And keep your critical thinking skills on high. Do they have official school e-mail address? Does the school website list the position as open? Do their names match what's on the school website? Are they asking the right questions? You can always call the school directly and ask a few questions to confirm what's going on.