Too late?

jwb1226

Too late?

Post by jwb1226 »

Hi all,

I am a new teacher on here and am considering looking for an assignment overseas where I can save a little but also explore some. I have 17 years teaching public schools in the US and currently do have a job but just exploring my options. I would like to look at somewhere in SA such as Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, or possibly Brazil. I guess I am looking to find out am I too late in the game this year? I did not attend any of the big recruiting fairs such as UNI. I am single and have an elementary license 1-6 and have taught third and sixth grade. I also have a masters degree in reading k-12 but have not yet taken my state test to become licensed in reading. Any suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated.
vandsmith

Re: Too late?

Post by vandsmith »

if i was in your shoes, i'd sign up for tieonline.
it's cheap, it will serve your purposes, and likely a lot of the schools (some desirable, some less so) will have opportunities.
if it's SA you're looking at, i'm sure there would be some still fishing out there.
you have lots of experience, and can't speak to your motivations for leaving your current school, but it seems you'd be on the higher end of a salary scale though.
my wife and i haven't went to the fairs either and had no problem getting positions that we love(d).

good luck!

v.
shadowjack

Re: Too late?

Post by shadowjack »

Hi jwb1226,

Your experience will be a plus. However, many salaries in SA and CA are not high, so if you do, there might be a problem. Vandsmith is right - join TIEonline, check out the jobs, and also check out schools in the countries you would like to get to.

If not this year - the ASSA fair is in Atlanta every December, so you could go to that for next year to land a job. Remember that some schools in SA have a Jan start, following a southern year schedule, where "winter" is in June/July.

Good luck and keep us posted!

shad