Search Assoc?

mathewsp

Search Assoc?

Post by mathewsp »

Hi I am not new to international teaching but am new to using a recruiter and am more than a little concerned with Search Assoc. I am asked to pay a $225 fee to a recruiters home address, not a corporate address with no guarantee that there are any TL jobs even available through them. Any insights, Anyone? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
teacher librarian
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Search Assoc?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Search is probably the largest and most established (many people would say best but opinions differ) recruiter in the business. Fees go directly to your associate (who could be good, mediocre or useless) but you are mainly paying for the database and the chance to attend job fairs.

BTW there are 46 library/media jobs on Search right now but this will fluctuate every few days or so.
mathewsp

Post by mathewsp »

Many thanks!!! My understanding is the recruiter "matches" you , sends your credentials and arranges interview? yes/no?
best
mathewsp
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Mine has never done anything for me but cash the check. You would have access to the database, job listings and school's contact info. You then apply to the schools that are a match and if they are interested they contact you back for an interview. Maybe someone else has had a different experience but I've never heard of an associate arranging an interview for a candidate.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

You could always move to the UK. Apparently it is illegal for recruitment agencies to charge fees for members so you wouldn't have to pay a fee.

Also, you can apply directly to schools, so unless you want easy access to lots of schools on a database with info about salaries etc... you might want to put in the hours of your own internet searches!
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

from another thread, I posted:

If you find yourself needing a recruiter, we found Michael Williams at Search to be fantastic. He answered all of our questions warmly, thoroughly, and quickly. He held our hands when needed, dragged us though, cheered us on, and congratulated our quick placement this year at our first IT post. I don't think we will be looking for jobs again soon, but I will go right back to him when we do.

"Matching"? No. They don't do that.
Micky

Post by Micky »

Avoid Sally like the plague. The fellow from Australia, Nick Kendall is pretty good. I ask him questions when I have some even though he is not my rep and he still always responds. Sally never responds unless you call her, and then she promises to but never does.
mathewsp

Post by mathewsp »

Hi,
In speaking with friends, i am less sure of paying someone who does not respond to SIX emails but has time to generate an invoice. Those of you that use SEARCH, can you switch recruiters? Mine is Not responsive nor is she proactive. Any thoughts on TIE?
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

I'm really glad I went with SA, but my associate has not done anything.. we've never spoken at a fair, had a default 'Congratulations' e-mail from them when I got a position, no other e-mail contact. Having said that I have never had a reason to ask them questions either.
Matthew, I believe that yes you can request to switch associates.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

wrldtrvlr123 wrote:
> Mine has never done anything for me but cash the check. You would have
> access to the database, job listings and school's contact info. You then
> apply to the schools that are a match and if they are interested they
> contact you back for an interview. Maybe someone else has had a different
> experience but I've never heard of an associate arranging an interview for
> a candidate.

this has been my experience. i switched guys early on. you can ask for a switch if you like, they will transfer the files to the new associate. i know they say you can do it, but do be careful you're not just being a pain the ass either! even though i switched, the new guy doesn't really do anything either.

doesn't matter, i use it exclusively for the database and message functions.

v.
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

Loved the database, and my associates, John and Susan Ritter were pretty helpful in at least getting my bio and resumes together. The free ticket to a job fair was good too. I paid my money online though...
ffmary

Post by ffmary »

All of the associates are eh. Some are sub-eh. Bridget is somewhat more awake than the others. The junior Magagna reminds me of Anthony Soprano, Jr. or Meadow Soprano depending on the day or episode.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

I would not say that all of the associates are average or 'eh'. I've dealt with Nick Kendall in Australia and my associate (Barry Drake) and they have both been fantastic.

It should be noted that I have heard mixed stories about some associates - specifically somes based in the US but this is not the place to mention it plus it's second hand information.

My associate never found work for me - but for me personally it's better choosing the schools I want to apply for than a normal company trying to send me off to the first school they find with a position that suits what job I'm looking for.

I've dealt with one or two job agencies and the quality of jobs can be quite low. However - everyone is different.

If you have not joined yet - it may be possible to request a person but others will probably know more....
pufferfish

Post by pufferfish »

I once wrote a reference for someone using the Search Ass online form. I don't think it allowed me to really say the best I could about that person.
superunknown

Post by superunknown »

I've had a great experience with Search. Nick Kendall was an absolute pro. I'm not even kidding.