Contracts

Schmedz

Contracts

Post by Schmedz »

I've just verbally (well, via email) accepted my first international school post and it has been several weeks since doing so. I still haven't seen a contract despite repeatedly asking for one.
I turned down another fantastic offer to accept this post and am getting a bit worried - is this usual practice? I am not prepared to formally resign my current role/notify kids schools etc...until I have an agreeable contract signed.
How long do you usually have to wait...or is there no 'usually'?
Thanks!
wntriscoming

Re: Contracts

Post by wntriscoming »

Um....this is NOT a good sign. If I were you, I would not work at this school. If they haven't sent you a contract after offering you a position, your accepting, and your asking for the contract multiple times, it is not a good sign of what's to come.

I would VERY quickly e-mail the other school that offered you a job and let them know your situation and if that job is still available, that you would like to accept it, or another position at their school that you're qualified for. At the same time, I would get my name back out on the market asap.

There is no wait. If a job is offered, a contract comes with it. This is very worrisome.

Don't delay. Do something today.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I wouldn't be quite so dire, but you do need to get this resolved one way or the other. I would pick up a phone and call the person you interviewed with/offered you the job and let them know that you are concerned. There is sometimes a disconnect between admin and HR and that could be all this is.

If it is a reputable school it should still be fine, but do contact them by phone ASAP.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Thanks for the advice. I have a feeling that the country the school is in is quite 'relaxed' when it comes to time deadlines etc.. But it is odd that other emails have received replies but not the ones about a contract...
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Did you sign an "Intent to Hire"? Or was this just a casual agreement? Our school waits to send out final contracts until all positions are filled, but we got a very official and binding "Intent to Hire" immediately upon being offered positions.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

I received an email offering the post from the Head of school which was immediately followed by an emailed attachment of the official offer letter.
I accepted the post via email (after prompting that they needed an official acceptance) and received a 'welcome to the team' email from the Head. Since then I have been emailing HR with various questions etc...which they have answered. Just nothing about the actual contract itself.
Presume this is similar to the Intent To Hire document you sign, albeit far less formal!
School is reputable and part of a large group of International schools...
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Forgot to mention that the interview took place in person and I have met both the Head of school and Principal at their school group's recruitment event (they don't use job fairs but pre-screen candidates who have applied for the available roles. Some are then invited to final stage interviews at this recruitment event).
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Schmedze,

it might be that the head is still out recruiting in Boston and then San Francisco for those last few positions and nothing will happen HR-wise until he or she returns. If you have been getting other replies and not a stone wall, then I would clock it up to something like that.

just my two cents,

shad
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Yeah, I second shad. Our HR department just likes to draw up all the contracts at once instead of piecemeal - which makes sense to me. This is our first post, too.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

Well with further information, your situation is actually MUCH better than you originally stated. It sounded like you had absolutely no contact from the school and had been left high and dry.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Ummm...sorry if you assumed I had had no contact, I only mentioned I hadn't had a contract, but I can see how you might think that implied no correspondence at all!

Anyway, contracts came through today so apologies for creating a storm in a tea cup. Thanks to all who took the time and trouble to respond to an International school newbie.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Schmedz wrote:
> Ummm...sorry if you assumed I had had no contact, I only mentioned I hadn't
> had a contract, but I can see how you might think that implied no
> correspondence at all!
>
> Anyway, contracts came through today so apologies for creating a storm in a
> tea cup. Thanks to all who took the time and trouble to respond to an
> International school newbie.
---------------------
No worries. These are life changing decisions we are making and so much depends on other people that it's easy to get stressed.

Now wait until you haven't received your visa or other important documents and you have a ticket to fly out in 2 days. Our visas for China arrived with one day to spare. :S
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

No visa until the day before you're travelling?

Now THAT is stressful!! So glad it worked out for you!
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

Glad to hear everything is turning out okay. It's hard to know whether to be concerned or not in situations like these! It's not like a contract for working down the road or across town... Hope your new posting is great!
ShakHak

Post by ShakHak »

Hi! If the international school is in the Middle East, specifically the GCC region, then yes, this actually quite "normal." Ifyou went through a legit recruiter (TeachAway, Search Associates, etc) I'd get in touch with your point person and ask them to follow up.

Good luck!
ShakHak https://coursecraft.net/courses/z9Pk8