Is it worth going to a Fair if you recently accepted a post?

Schmedz

Is it worth going to a Fair if you recently accepted a post?

Post by Schmedz »

I have been signed up for a job Fair this weekend, but have two interviews on the table this week and a strong possibility of being offered a job.

I have never been to a job fair so am a little curious, but say I am fortunate to receive a job offer, is it worth going to the fair?

I have only applied to schools that I am really keen on, so unless there was a nasty surprise in the package, I would almost certainly accept either!!

Trying to be optimistic and plan ahead. Obviously if I don't receive an offer I'll be off to the Fair.
sid

Re: Is it worth going to a Fair if you recently accepted a p

Post by sid »

If you accept an offer, you should not go to the fair.
Some might tell you it's good experience, but I'd say not.
You cannot sign up for interviews, and should not even be in the hall during interview sign-up. It's too crowded and busy, and everyone there will be frantically focused on getting the right interview appointments. If you pop by just to say hi, you will piss people off, recruiters and teachers alike.
Hanging out among teachers who are looking for jobs will likely result in them really resenting you. They are stressed to the max, and you're swanning about, all free and happy, grabbed the brass ring that they all missed out on before the fair. I've seen a couple really tense situations over the years, and those were just with people who got hired during the fair, not before.
You could attend information sessions on different schools. But that gets old faster than you'd think.
The focus at a fair is completely on matching schools and teachers. You'd be a third wheel.
interteach

Post by interteach »

There's not much of a point in going, because going to a fair is for finding a job. Your recruiter will probably be not very excited to see you. I've been hired the night before the fair, and ended up not going, and made my travel arrangements so that it would cost me very little not to attend (just redepositing miles for the airfare).

If you got a job that you like, take the time to celebrate rather than clog up a fair.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

That's kind of what ain't figured, although apparently there is a penalty if you pull out of this fair beyond a certain date (which has now passed!)

But I can't imagine they would penalise if an offer had already been accepted!
sid

Post by sid »

They might well apply the penalty, but it'll still be far cheaper than going to the fair!
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Ummm..no it wouldnt be cheaper!!
sid

Post by sid »

No airfare, no hotel.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Fair is in my home town and less than half an hour on the train from my house, so don't need an airfare or hotel accommodation
machan

Post by machan »

I don't know which agency you are with, but I was told that there is no penalty if you are canceling your fair attendance as a result of securing a position.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Thanks, m, that is good to know. As I hadn't actually received firm offers I couldn't cancel this time (they came through on the last day of the fair and the following Monday)

I did go to the fair and looked at the posts available and didn't see anything I liked as much as the ones for which I'd already arranged interviews. Spoke to my associate at the signup and said I didn't want to waste anyone's time by interviewing for jobs I had no interest in taking (and had declined a few interviews prior to the fair from recruiters wanting to arrange interviews). She was very understanding and said I could stay and go to school presentations and meet other international teachers if I wanted to, but otherwise it would be a good idea to go and enjoy my weekend instead!

Glad I went and I can see how a fair would be really useful if you needed to find a job quickly, especially if you are already working in some far flung region of the world and can't interview in the main cities on a regular basis. This was a Search Fair and was very well organised.

Happy to say both the other interviews resulted in offers so I have now had to make a choice - thoroughly relieved, I can tell you!
Gemini72

Post by Gemini72 »

Thanks for giving us the update. I was worried that you may have not gotten the offers, plus forfeited the convenient job fair in your hometown, resulting in no jobs at all. Glad that it all worked out in the end for you.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Thanks, Gemini. I was really careful to choose schools to apply to that I felt would be a good fit for me and my family..after all, the children have to go to the school so I had to feel happy it would do a good job of educating them otherwise I couldn't consider it. Also hubby would have to be happy living in the area where the school is situated. Believe me that rules out A LOT of potential jobs!!
This time I feel lucky that I seem to have gotten it right (or time will tell once I start work in August...!) Slightly concerned that I turned down the tier 1 post in favour of a less 'prestigious' school, but pedagogically (and location wise) I preferred it!