anyone ready to be excited with me yet?

UnCloudy

Re: anyone ready to be excited with me yet?

Post by UnCloudy »

Yeah, I really do apologize. I was being a total noob and realized that I'd completely identified myself and my family because we have such specific skill sets, etc.
Last edited by UnCloudy on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Well, you were excited. :D
MizMorton

Post by MizMorton »

See, I still don't understand why that's an issue, unless you talk smack about someone somewhere and burn a bridge.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Well, some people, not just admin, make it a game to try to 'out' people or figure out who they are. And if it is a snarky comment/post and admin is the loony bin kind who takes everything personally, or feels it will hurt recruiting, at some schools they go on a rampage to find out who posted and punish them.

So just to let everybody identify me, I just got an interview for Hogwarts for the position of Professor of the Dark Arts. I am hoping I can cast a spell and get the job :-)

Seriously, some people are a bit whacko and do try to figure out things like who is who and how to make their life miserable. So it is fine to talk about things, but safer not to name names. Unlike back home, you are not protected by law if a school wants to get rid of you and cancels your visa. I have seen staff sacked and sent off on 12 hours notice to vacate and leave the country - and that was that. Not a happy scene, I assure you, but proof that things do happen (although it was non-ISR related).

Better to be safe, I think.

Just my two cents,

shad
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

In my first year of international teaching, I had a more experienced colleague tell me to never let someone else know that you have an account on ISR. It may sound paranoid, but after a few years out in the world of international schools, you'll slowly realize that the suggestions about privacy and identity on ISR are sound. It's just a different world out here, and you are not protected like you are in your home country. It's better to just keep things like ISR quiet and to yourself.
MizMorton

Post by MizMorton »

Excellent advice from all of you (including those of you who sent me helpful PMs). And as I said back in a PM, I naively assumed that just because *I* say nothing negative (I am very careful online and only post things my boss could see-- that said, I'm still open), it doesn't mean there won't be guilt by association.

Thank you! Will do some deleting. :)