female teacher, 1 dependent, maybe husband?

thekatabroad

female teacher, 1 dependent, maybe husband?

Post by thekatabroad »

Hi after applying to a few schools,last year and currenty, then having read this forum, I feel quite disheartened, yet enlightened…

I have not registered with any agency as I am only really looking in 4-5 countries, Singapore, Indonesia (where I am now), Malaysia, Japan and at a push Vietnam. So I don't really see the point. As I can look online at the schools myself.

Now when I apply to schools should I make it clear that my husband is not joining me? Keep quiet, unless they ask…?
The situation is this I live in Jakarta and work at an Int School, he lives in Japan. There are no IS in the area that he lives, so I continue to stay here. He visits me on his holidays and I visit his on my holidays, we have been doing this for 2 years and it is just fine. I am quite happy with the arrangement. One day if the right job came along for him, in the right country, we hope he would move to be with us.

Are people really put off the fact that I appear to be a single mum? Would schools/ agency prefer me to be a a) married mum, who has husband separate in another country? B) A single mum or C) say he will be a trailing spouse, which he won’t as he will look for a job in his area of work.
Yesterday I filled in CIS application and I believe I said he wold not be joining us, which he won't probably for a few years.
Just read also on a forum thread that Search is ‘no longer accepting applications from single teaching candidate with dependents’.
So no point trying to join there.

any advice or pointers on best way to secure a job and above sit.

thanks a lot
wrldtrvlr123

Re: female teacher, 1 dependent, maybe husband?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hmmm. Interesting question. First off, I would confirm that bit about absolutely no single teachers with dependents as an official policy with Search themselves as it doesn't sound quite right (although I guess nothing would really shock me these days).

As for which scenario looks best/worst for potential recruiters, it seems like a wash to me. One way makes it look like you have no built in support for the child(ren), the other costs the school more money. Tough call either way.

I guess I would lean towards fewer dependents for the school to pay for, but I would be interested to hear from some admin types for a better/more useful take on the current state of thinking. If you have the money, Search's database and job listings could still be a worthwhile investment (although if you are constantly stalking the websites of the schools in that group of countries, maybe you have a good idea whether they keep their websites really up to date with job postings etc). Your membership fee can be good for up to 3 years and possibly your situation would change over time.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi thekatabroad,

Here is the rub. You say he won't be a trailing spouse, but C is out. Whether he looks for a job in his line or work or not, if he comes with you he is a trailing spouse.

Do not believe that Search is not accepting single candidates with dependents - the rub is (a) what do you teach (high needs golden area, or pedestrian common area); (b) how badly does the school want your skill set; (c) what is the school culture towards scenarios such as yours.

Myself, go with the his job keeps him in Japan, we've been doing this for two years, and have him visit you on tourist visa. If your situation changes in a couple of years, THEN you have built up credit with the school and are more likely to have something worked out - but it might be you are going to pay some money out of pocket. But it might not be either.

Good luck!

Shad
thekatabroad

Post by thekatabroad »

thanks for answers, ...

i am not sure it is the official policy on search, but i read yesterday, through other posts on here, that another candidate got told cos of her/his situation, single parent, they would not register her...
then there was the other case, that shadowjack , you replied lots to , the uS couple, with none teaching spouse, who got turned down...now they have secured a great job.

yes, perhaps it is just depends on the country. In Indonesia I guess the schools don't worry as much about family support, cos we all have nanny's but ofcourse moving somewhere like singapore, they would be wary, as cannot afford a nanny and no support.

well I think saying the least personal info is favourable!

Unfortunately i am not a sought after subject area! English, I am afraid
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi thekateabroad,

You won't know until you ask Search. Have you done that? If you are IB science trained and teach chem/physics, they will snap you up like you were fresh meat and they were a velociraptor. If you are a KG teacher or a primary teacher with no IB training, they likely will say they won't take you, unless you have had leadership positions and training in some other program that is in demand. Ask. It is free to contact Search and find out the reality.

As for the other post, it was a teacher with a trailing spouse and other dependents. They didn't get accepted by Search and they did find a job. Was it what they wanted and a "great school"? The teacher in question thinks so - but won't know until he gets there and discovers the reality on the ground. I certainly hope it is and I think it is wonderful.

There is no 100% rule in international education and if you are the right person at the right time, there will be a job. Notice that when I replied I did tell the teacher to check it out anyways and that you never know what might happen.

So contact Search, contact schools individually as well, use other resources. As I like to do, hope for the best, plan for the worst. I always try to have a fallback plan :-) Good luck with your search and please keep us posted on what transpires. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for!