30 applications, 0 interviews

kaccomaz

30 applications, 0 interviews

Post by kaccomaz »

So, I have been applying to schools with posted positions that I qualify for. Both my teaching partner, and myself, have bachelors and Masters degrees from really good schools in the US. We have 7 years of teach experience each, he has 4 internationally (two with the peace corps), and I have two. I am starting to become concerned that we aren't being offered any interviews. Are school collecting applications for months before they begin interviewing? Is it still too early? Any advice would be very helpful for my sanity.
hallm

Re: 30 applications, 0 interviews

Post by hallm »

I'm no expert on timelines, but I think it's still way early.

Can someone else verify typical timelines?

Last year I emailed schools through November and December and then interviewed in Jan and Feb.

A lot of them are probably also waiting to see how many positions they can fill at upcoming fairs.

Hang in there... good luck!
DeDee

Post by DeDee »

I was in your spot last year, but without IS experience. By this time I had probably sent out 50-60 resume's. I didn't receive my first interview request until the week before Christmas. Then, after Christmas they came pouring in. I accepted my current position during the last week of January. It is very early. And those who are having interviews are high needs and/or with lots of IS experience. Be patient. There's lots of the time. The hiring season has barely begun. Plus, the teachers at my school just received their contracts this year. Good luck!
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

So what's the update, OP? Did you ever get any interviews?
bananas

Post by bananas »

I'm curious too! I have similar qualifications and also began applying in November but so far I've only had one interview, and it was totally outside my subject area so I ended up turning them down. Should I be getting nervous yet??
Fraisinette

Post by Fraisinette »

Same here, two offers for interviews that never came to fruition :P I'm still pouding out applications though and keeping positive for the Job Fair.
SweetWaterGringo

Post by SweetWaterGringo »

I have been sending resumes since last June (my school was evacuated and later closed, so I started looking early). Since that time I have been mostly approached by schools in war zones (because I have experience), and a couple of very shady Latin American schools, but nothing has come down to a solid interview. I am getting worried that the window is closing and I may be screwed.

I will attend the ISS job fair in February (first time). Any tips?
kaccomaz

Post by kaccomaz »

Update:

We did end up having interviews with 3 schools with another scheduled. I ended up taking a position from a great school in Brazil. We are super excited.
Fraisinette

Post by Fraisinette »

@ kaccomaz

Congratulations! Brasil - Sounds very exciting !