GEMS schools Dubai

turinbrakes

GEMS schools Dubai

Post by turinbrakes »

Hi All

Just an honest heads up for any folk looking to take up a job with any of the GEMS schools in Dubai either this January or next September.

The accommodation and furniture they are providing new staff is on a downward spiral.
They cite costs and a new furniture supplier....what ever the reason/excuse its a poor one as they have put their fees up across the board and didn't seem to complain when rents were lower in Dubai.

Families with children/babies have been given apartments next to building sites with no bath. Terrible quality and finish with loads of problems including air conditioning (which is essential due to the summer heat) not working.
Other staff have been housed in red light areas in tiny apartments or in the middle of nowhere miles from their schools.

Argos or MFI or any cheap furniture shop would be embarrassed to sell the furniture they are now using...it is truly terrible.

GEMS are always VERY vague regarding where staff will be housed and there is a good reason for that!!

Some of their schools are very good and to be fair the management and operations teams are being pressured to reduce costs hence the issues above.

Hope this helps.
Route66

Re: GEMS schools Dubai

Post by Route66 »

@ turinbrakes

What are Gems Like as a organisation to work for?
turinbrakes

Post by turinbrakes »

Average at best
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

from what i've seen, a lot of it's shine and sheen. the only interview i had with them, it was like i was a customer or trying to be sold a new car or something.

as for students, they accept anyone without any real interview or assessment policy. my colleague ended up having several serious LD issues with next to no support.

they do offer higher salary (at least the ones i know of in the ME).

it's possible they are better elsewhere in the world, but only to certain extent - they are still highly profit-motivated. take that as you want.
turinbrakes

Post by turinbrakes »

There are lots of promises and very little action once you actually arrive.

VERY slow repaying flight and shipping money. Don't pay you at all for your first weeks work either.

And be ready to teach subjects you've never taught in your life too!!

AVOID.
turinbrakes

Post by turinbrakes »

An update for those interested.

The apartment block in the middle of nowhere,next to a massive building site, where we have been given apartments is not connected to either the phone or internet service providers.

We have been promised for 3 months this will be sorted out...still nothing.

So contact in the evening with family and friends via email,skype etc is impossible unless you drive to a hotel to buy a drink and use their Wi-Fi.
Also on line work or research at home is not possible....and yet the school send emails on the weekend and then moan that you haven't replied.

Many staff have booked one way flights home at Xmas !!
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

Wow, which GEMS school are you referring to? There are dozens in the UAE. What people are writing in this thread was not my experience or the experience of my friends.
turinbrakes

Post by turinbrakes »

The new staff at all the Dubai GEMS schools are all having accommodation issues to varying degrees....see my original post.

Referring back to the internet/phone issue my colleagues and I are facing.....we have been told by the SLT at the school...." I suggest you check your contract. Nowhere does it say your accommodation will have connection to the phone or internet grid"

Its the only block in the whole area that is not.

A friend has witnessed drug dealing and prostitutes touting for business directly outside her GEMS supplied apartment.
Their answer..."we couldn't have researched the area very well"

A lot of staff have had to replace the furniture they were supplied with as it is so poor.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

I also had a (personal) friend who was offered a job at GEMS Dubai - handed in notice, packed up, shipped out...and then the contract was pulled. Absolute nightmare for him.
I would avoid at all costs any of the GEMS institutes, but if you know someone you trust who is happy at one and hears no such goings-on where they are, go for it.
Route66

Post by Route66 »

Hi @turinbrakes Are you still having issues with this or has it been resolved yet?

turinbrakes wrote:
> An update for those interested.
>
> The apartment block in the middle of nowhere,next to a massive building
> site, where we have been given apartments is not connected to either the
> phone or internet service providers.
>
> We have been promised for 3 months this will be sorted out...still nothing.
>
>
> So contact in the evening with family and friends via email,skype etc is
> impossible unless you drive to a hotel to buy a drink and use their Wi-Fi.
> Also on line work or research at home is not possible....and yet the school
> send emails on the weekend and then moan that you haven't replied.
>
> Many staff have booked one way flights home at Xmas !!
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

my friend worked at GEMS in abu dhabi last year and they had similar problems there as well, i.e. with the housing and moving in/instability. i believe even part of the building they were in collapsed - might have been just the parking garage but pretty shady. at the start of the contract, they had them living out of suitcases for several months as well.

overall, this corporation seems to be great at making money, but not sure about what lies underneath. ive heard complaints of schools being force-fed new students when the resources weren't there. don't get me wrong, they seem to have beauty campuses and state of the art everything - they even have a 3D planetarium in one school - but from what ive heard from some working there, it's by and large shiny outside, crumbly inside. there's a reason why they're always hiring a lot of teachers...

take that with a grain of salt - there's always the possibility they have improved, or are improving!

v.
turinbrakes

Post by turinbrakes »

@Route66....still having the same issues.
The operations team are worse than useless. Lots of "it will be sorted" promises and no action.

How a supposed forward thinking technology keen school could have loads of staff in a tower block with no internet is beyond me and everyone else.

The building itself is really shoddy. Bathrooms flood all the time. Kitchens useless etc etc etc....I lived in better places as a student....not what I was expecting in Dubai at all!!!!!!!!!

My opinion of GEMS having been employed by them about 4 months now is they are all shine and no substance.

The Head/CEO basically hides away to avoid all the issues.

Heed this advice and avoid these clowns and look at other schools in Dubai or the UAE...there are plenty.

I will be seeing the school year out and booking a one way flight for the end of the summer term....I stay with a friend (who works for a different school group) a lot so can manage better than others.
PrettyExpatriate

Post by PrettyExpatriate »

Can you be more specific? What campus(s) are you referencing? Wellington? Bradenton?
turinbrakes

Post by turinbrakes »

Just to update on this matter.

Record numbers of GEMS staff are leaving at the end of this school year.

The majority of them recent entrants who are completely fed up with the accommodation(which they were lied to about) and work load.

English teachers are teaching physics.

Multiple (because the school charges more for these) SEN pupils are put in classes with no SEN teacher or support.

Maths teachers are teaching geography.......etc etc ....all are told not to mention this to parents.
turinbrakes

Post by turinbrakes »

I can concur.

Many are leaving 1 year into a 2 year contract too.

Reason being housing , workload , classes sizes , SEN pupils added to classes with no support.

Some of the GEMS schools are also starting the new academic year in June....so for example year 12 will move to year 13 at the start of June and start the new year 13 work then.