Getting a job

creative123

Getting a job

Post by creative123 »

Hello
I have been teaching 14years I really want to teach abroad. I have two children and a husband (who doesn't teach) what is the best route? Apply directly or go to a recruitment consultant? Am I too expensive? I am a good teacher how can I get myself noticed? Thanks
curiousme

Re: Getting a job

Post by curiousme »

You'll get noticed with a great cover letter and CV. You can apply through agencies or direct - I personally prefer the latter.

I've met plenty of people on the international circuit with your profile.

Good luck!
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

A lot of schools won't do more than 1 tuition waiver per teacher, unless perhaps you happen to be in Admin. There are still schools out there that would take you on, but you'll have to do a lot of research. The Search database is worth the price of joining.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

We have more than one tuition waver and never had a problem. In fact, in all the schools in my city, I know people with 2+ children, sometimes with and sometimes without a teaching spouse. A good school will take you if you are the best person for the job, regardless of the number of children. I have had this in writing from at least a couple of top schools so I am sure it's true - not for all, but enough to make it worth pursuing your dream.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

That's true, curiousme, but it seems to be more the exception than the rule. And with economics changing, less the rule, more the exception.

But I agree with you - if you don't go out and look, you will never know, will you?

Good luck on your search, OP!
hallm

Post by hallm »

Hey everyone... first post.

I just wanted to chime in also. Last year I used tie and applied for jobs with about 10 schools. I had 4 interviews and two offers. For personal reasons, the timing wasn't right and I declined both offers, but just for the record, I have a non-teaching spouse and THREE children.

One of the offers would have flown my entire family and paid tuition for all three of my children, so it can be done.

As another poster said, you won't know until you try :-)

Good luck.
CoachM

Post by CoachM »

hallm wrote:
> Hey everyone... first post.
>
> I just wanted to chime in also. Last year I used tie and applied for jobs with about
> 10 schools. I had 4 interviews and two offers. For personal reasons, the timing
> wasn't right and I declined both offers, but just for the record, I have a non-teaching
> spouse and THREE children.
>
> One of the offers would have flown my entire family and paid tuition for all three
> of my children, so it can be done.
>
> As another poster said, you won't know until you try :-)
>
> Good luck.

Hi Hallm,

It seems that you did great last year, you must be a very good teacher and in high demand! Can you share the cites that made the offers, I know people that are in a similar situation and would like to know where to try?

Thanks!
Route66

Post by Route66 »

I would suggest doing everything and anything, join agencies, apply direct and also book into job fairs. what do you have to lose? just make sure you do your research on the school and know what your looking for.
joanveronica

Post by joanveronica »

Hallm,

Would you mind sharing a little more about your experience?

Thanks!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

One thing to be aware of with TIEonline (disclaimer: I am a paid member of TIEonline) is that they often won't have postings from the top schools, who tend to use Search Associates and/or ISS as well as their own websites rather than TIEonline.