Intern Experiences

Ada23

Intern Experiences

Post by Ada23 »

Hi everyone,

I'm new the international school scene and have started an application for Search Associates. I am graduating this year but I have always wanted to go abroad prior to working as a teacher at home, therefore I have had to apply as an intern. I am wondering if anyone has any intern experiences? I am feeling like it would not be worth it for me to go abroad if I do not have my own classroom, the whole idea seems unheard of to me. I'm not sure if this is common elsewhere? Here I do two practicums, 5 weeks and 9 weeks, and am qualified to have my own classroom upon receiving my certification. Im wondering if its' even worth it to be an intern, but at the same time, I will be greatly disappointed if I don't go abroad this year. Any experiences or input would be great!
shadowjack

Re: Intern Experiences

Post by shadowjack »

Intern is not the way to go, unless your university has a partnership in place. Be smart, finish your certification, then go overseas if you must (but realize you won't be working at a good school with 0 experience), or even better, do 2 years at home and then go overseas (where your chances of getting a good school are better).

Just my 2 halalas, but take it for what it is worth.

shad
sid

Post by sid »

You may be qualified to have your own classroom after earning your certificate, but you still have to find a school willing to give you a job.
Good international schools offer excellent education to their students, and to do that they need to make sure they have excellent teachers. As a newly-qualified teacher, you're as yet unproven. So you can try your luck as an intern, or try your luck in a weaker international school, or try your luck getting a job in the US.
Moving abroad is a major life-changer. You'll have to figure out how to live in whatever city and culture, which is a far cry from figuring out how to be a tourist. Where do you get groceries? How to navigate the public transport system? Buy a car? Find a doctor for that suspicious cough? Buy a mat for the shower? Send money home? Learn some of the language? Avoid accidental offense of the local culture? Make new friends? The list is never-ending. With all that learning going on, good schools know it's not a good idea to have newly-qualified teachers - there's too much learning about how to teach at the same time there's too much learning about how to live. Better for you and for them if you've already figured out the basics of teaching before you go overseas.
And it really does take at least 2 years full time to master the basics and feel comfortable in the classroom. Certification is just a starting point.
Ada23

Post by Ada23 »

thanks for the replies. I have a lot to consider. I have finally received a reply from Search Associates on what the actual difference is in responsibility, being an assistant, being a substitute, etc. and I don't feel it is the right thing for me.
I was going to finish my application (I only have one reference left, I went ahead with the whole thing because they took so long to get back to me and I had no idea what an intern was, so I figured might as well go for it) do the interview, and pay the $100. But it seems from your replies and everywhere that I have researched, that indeed the schools that hire first year teachers aren't the exactly the best. Sid, I know that the experience would deb overwhelming moving, so that is why I figured they want teachers with experience. So it seems pointless to continue on with this application if I know deep down that I don't want to be an intern, nor do I want my first experience to be awful. Teaching in the US versus teaching in Canada would also probably not be the smartest thing to do as I would get paid much more teaching here at home. Guess I just need to get my experience in! Thanks for the help :)
sid

Post by sid »

And then the world's your oyster. You may never want to go back home...