Colombia - international primary schools

JohnnyP

Colombia - international primary schools

Post by JohnnyP »

Hi all,
I am looking for info from anyone who knows first hand about job opportunities in Colombia. My cities of preference would be Medellin or Bogota.
I am a primary school teacher with a Bachelor of Education from Ireland. I also have TESOL certification. The past 5 years I have been teaching in Ireland and this current year I have devoted to travelling.
Come September 2014 I wish to return to Colombia & teach for a year or two in an international primary school. I would like a 'decent' teaching position with a highly respected school.
If anyone could inform me on the following I would be ever so grateful:
>Where teaching positions for 'top rated' international primary schools are advertised?
>Which schools you would advise me to apply to?
>What kind of salary should I expect?
>Do schools offer packages which include furnished accommodation, health insurance, flights, etc (the usual)?
Any advice welcome.
Thanks in advance all.
Regards
John
wtraveller

Re: Colombia - international primary schools

Post by wtraveller »

Hi John

If you are experienced in the IPC or IB - try Colegio Gran Bretana - The British school in Bogota. A friendly, small school
JohnnyP

Post by JohnnyP »

Hi
Thanks for your reply. Pardon my lack o knowledge but what do IPC or IB mean?
Do you know whether these schools advertise job positions online or somewhere or do teachers simply have to apply directly to the schools in a hope that there is a position arising? What is the procedure?
Many thanks
John
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

You can try registering with Search Associates or International Schools Services. The bigger schools register with those recruiters. If they are more money than you want to spend, you can try applying directly to schools via TIE Online.

-Amanda at http://teachingwanderlust.com/
JohnnyP

Post by JohnnyP »

Hi Igtallie
Thanks got your info.
Which of those 2 is most popular or would you advise to join both?
With the TIE Online there is no jobs listed for Colombia?!
Is there any other websites/recruiters that are hugely popular with international primary schools?
In Ireland we have one website for all teaching jobs it is very simple to navigate! I wish it was like so for Colombia...
John
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

I think Search and ISS are equally popular. Joyjobs.com is another site you could check out if you are interested in applying to schools directly. Another approach would be to Google international schools in Colombia and apply to those schools directly via email.

-Amanda at http://teachingwanderlust.com/
JohnnyP

Post by JohnnyP »

Thank you I'll give those options a shot.
If anything else springs to mind please do let me know :)
John