Living in Malaysia?

GandR

Living in Malaysia?

Post by GandR »

Can anyone tell us more information on what is good and bad about living in Malaysia?
grdwdgrrrl

Re: Living in Malaysia?

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

It's easy Asia here. English spoken is a start. There are some challenges and benefits of the multi religious-ness. For once our kids are learning about different religions and cultures. I love the openness of the society here. we don't live on the mainland though. we're in Penang. We have other acquaintances also from China (long term 9 years) that now teach in KL and really love it. Easy to drive here. Cars are expensive, but petrol, insurance and resell is good. Oh, and the weather is the same all the time. In the summer forest fires in Indonsesia blow smoke over here. Also, pork products are not so acceptable here but available.
GandR

Post by GandR »

Thanks for all the information. Sounds like you've been around. Where is your favorite place travel in Malaysia?
millwall_fan

Post by millwall_fan »

Penang is a wonderful place: Georgetown is a lovely old city, the beaches are not the best but are fine and the food is out of this world. Malakka is also nice. KL is like any Asian capital: big, traffic ridden and hot!
HereThereEverywhere

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

Traffic is terrible. I was taking a taxi the other night and the driver literally had to come to a dead stop because of the motor bikes oncoming in our lane! If you are on foot, watch out. Thieves on motor bikes may snatch your bag. Law enforcement is absent. I got my car tires slashed, in front of the police station. Yes, cars are expensive and petrol is cheap. Plan on getting a car because the public transit sucks.
The weather is the same all the time, hot and humid. Some people like that, but just know that it will NEVER be at a comfortably cool level. NEVER. I sweat so much I get rashes. People here are lovely towards foreigners, not so much to each other. Chinese and Malay are constantly fighting for power and the Indians are on the bottom of everyone's list. Thankfully you are foreign, if you weren't and you said something against Islam or the sultan you might go to jail. Makes it a bit hard to have a democracy when you can't speak out against the ruling ..
Food is great, lots of variety and a wide range of prices. Booze are expensive. Easy to get to other places in Asia. Easy to get domestic help. The beaches in Penang? meh...if you want to swim with turds and jellyfish they are fine. Otherwise go to Langkawi.