Teach in Malaysia vs UK

GandR

Teach in Malaysia vs UK

Post by GandR »

My partner and I were wondering which is better? We are currently teaching in China and want to make the move... however, getting multiple choices seems to get us stuck. We want to eventually work in Europe, but we don't have a EU passport or ancestry. I was thinking teaching in the UK may get me closer to this goal... is this true?

Also, we have been offered a job in Malaysia. I know these are very different places, so I need some insights on each.

For KL, we are each getting offered around 10000 malaysian ringgits per month. For a place near Manchester we have been offered close to 37000 pounds a year. It is really hard to understand the cost of living for each place, as I haven't been to either. Would these salaries be okay to live, travel and to save money?

What should I be asking myself to make a better choice?
shadowjack

Re: Teach in Malaysia vs UK

Post by shadowjack »

You can save more money in Malaysia.Your money goes further, prices are cheaper, you have your rent, etc covered. It is cheap to travel in SE Asia. Kids will usually be motivated. You pay taxes, but you get a very nice refund from your retirement fund when you leave.

In the UK, out of that 37000 quid salary, you will have to pay your taxes (very high) VAT (20%), road tax, council tax, television tax, and utilities. Food will cost more. Your students will likely be at a school in serious weaknesses, meaning you will have a hard slog dealing with them. Understand that good UK schools don't need to hire OTT teachers. I worked in the UK previously, and loved it, but we couldn't afford to stay. As to receiving permanent residency or citizenship, that is a 5 year plan and you will have lots of hoops to jump through to gain QTS and prove you are "value added"

Finally, the weather in Manchester can be bloody awful - the weather in Malaysia is much nicer.

Good luck with your choice and keep us posted!

shad
grdwdgrrrl

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

We moved from China recently. Money/package is not as good here, but much better than the U.K. We're going through our savings here. We were footloose and fancy free in China.
GandR

Post by GandR »

Thanks for the information... sounds like Malaysia is a better bet.