Instituto San Roberto, Mexico insights and IB question

litgal

Instituto San Roberto, Mexico insights and IB question

Post by litgal »

Anybody have insights on ISR in Monterry Mexico? School insights, quality of living, ability to save money.... I have a Skype interview next week! Got two hits today... what a shift in the winds!!

Also, I was contacted by another school that wants to know about my IB PYP experience but I do not have any IB experience! How does one suggest handling that deficit in these international circuits. I certainly welcome the opportunity to be trained and get certified in IB but not sure the best approach to handling my inexperience so that it doesn't prohibit my chances of getting an interview.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Litgal, congratulations on your nibbles! It is always nice, isn't it?

As for your PYP IB experience, be up front, but stress your inquiry based learning approach, which is what the PYP is about first and foremost. This is a crucial stage where young students learn to formulate questions and do observation and research to find the answer. The teacher often will answer a question with a question, for instance:

Johnny: "What would happen to our heart rate if we stayed really really still?"

Teacher (who knows the answer): "What do YOU think would happen, Johnny?"

J: "I think our hearts would almost stop"

Teacher: "Do you know how fast your heart is beating now?"

J: "No"

T: "Might that be important information?"

J: "Maybe?"

T: "What do you think, class?"

This is an example of what happens in an inquiry based learning classroom. Students learn to hypothesize and -, to predict based on previous knowledge, and to test their thinking.

Good luck!
litgal

Post by litgal »

Thanks Shadowjak... that explanation was very helpful..... isn't that just good teaching though!! :)

Your posts on this forum have been helped me understand this entire process a bit more and I appreciate the detail and care you put into responses.

Do you have any insights about Colegio Franklin Delano Roosevelt in Lima? The ISR reviews are mixed and in other posts I have seen it referred to as one of the upper tier schools (although, I am still trying to grasp this whole "tier" thing).

My lack of IB, PYP, MYP experience, plus being a newbie not in a high need area makes this process a bit challenging. I have read different perspectives about how the IB experience increases chances of a job, and others say that if a school is really interested they will put you through the training......

What do you think?
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

@Shadowjack...do kids really run the classroom in a PYP learning environment? I just have to laugh because if my little ones were to run my class we'd learn nothing all year except everything about horses (girls) and everything about Minecraft (boys)...lol