Coastal and beautiful areas less polluted in China or SEA?

counselme

Coastal and beautiful areas less polluted in China or SEA?

Post by counselme »

Hi There, How are Hainan, Macau, Shanghai and Hong Kong for pollution? I ask because they appeal to me as great places to live and work but not at the expense of my lung health. I am prone to asthma and headaches from excessive air pollution. I haven't had a problem in Western cities, but I'm concerned about accepting a job in highly polluted areas of Asia and suddenly unable to enjoy my time because of health issues. Any recommendations of nice/good schools or regions that are coastal or in beautiful picturesque areas of China, where the air pollution isn't an issue, requiring masks and air purifiers in the building to avoid lung issues (Good staff housing and clean air are more important to me than lucrative contracts). My lung issue is rarely provoked, and I don't have a problem in most places, such as Seoul, Paris, NYC or Seattle or London. But, I had to leave Bangkok after five days when I visited Thailand, because I couldn't get my breath some days and it restricted my holiday there. I was happy to move out of that city into its beautiful countryside and coastal regions, and then I was fine. I'm healthy otherwise, but my lungs don't do well in some places and I don't want to live somewhere that compromises my long term lung health and restricts my enthusiasm.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hong Kong, less polluted than Shanghai (which just had a really bad bout of pollution weather!). Macau less polluted than Hong Kong, but more insular and less to do (albeit a 2 1/2 hour hydrofoil ride to HK). Hainan would be the least polluted. It is the "Hawaii" of China.

You might also look at Chang Mai, Phuket, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or, in China, Xiamen, which is quite unpolluted due to location.

Good luck with your search!
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

How about air quality in Guagzhou?
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Guangzhou's air quality is better than Beijing's and Shanghai's, but not near as good as Hong Kong. I'd say GZ and Shenzhen tend to be similar. They tend to be in the unhealthy range a lot without going off the charts.