Skype interviews versus Fairs?

counselme

Skype interviews versus Fairs?

Post by counselme »

Hello there, Is it best to attend the fairs or to simply use Skype for interviews? Anyone out there who has found very good positions using Skype rather than attending very expensive fairs and having to travel very long distances? I can't get the time off from my local district to attend an international fair. But I am concerned that not going to one may mean I get less desirable positions from schools only using Skype?
What has been your experience?
Thank you,
yelsol

Post by yelsol »

It might be best to post this on the other forum. People tend to frequent that more. I can speak with limited experience. I recently signed a contract for my first IT position but I've been scouring this forum for about 3 years so I'll speak a bit from experience and a bit from what I've read. I've found that this whole process is a bit like playing Spades, skill definitely matters but it's also about the cards your dealt.

I started this process last year by signing up with Search and was registered for one of the fairs. I began applying to schools in September and by January had no responses from any schools. I ended up choosing to stay in the States for family reasons and cancelled my invitation to the fair. If I had chosen to go abroad last year, given that I had not heard from any schools by January, the fair would have probably been my best bet to finding a job.

This year I registered for the fair again, applied to several schools, heard back from my top choice within days and was made an offer after a month of Skype conversations with various members of the administration. So I cancelled my fair registration because I had no need to go anymore. My resume hadn't changed from last year (other than that I had completed another year of teaching)

The sense that I get is that a lot of schools do their hiring at the fairs. Hiring before the fair does take place but I think if you're a newbie, you either need to be in a high demand subject or you just happened to email your email just as the HR person was sitting down to read their email (probably how I got my job). I also get the sense that schools hire after the fair but really try to do most of their hiring before or during the fair.

In my opinion, registering for a fair is worth it (if you have the means to do so...I'm also a little biased because I live relatively close to a fair city). I just think it increases your chances of getting a job. Essentially you're making an investment.

If you're unable to attend a fair, I don't think that means that you are doomed to undesirable positions. Jobs open up after the fair for several reasons and this is just as likely at a top schools as it is at a tier 3 schools. I think it just brings more down to the wire.

So basically...I don't get the sense that you HAVE to attend a fair in order to get a job. It probably does help to increase your chances of getting a job.
counselme

Post by counselme »

Thanks