Complete newbie with questions (of course! ;) )

JustBean

Complete newbie with questions (of course! ;) )

Post by JustBean »

Hi there,

My husband and I are completely new to international teaching. (He will be the one teaching).
We are pretty tunnel visioned on our country choices (either Switzerland (our first choice and where we plan on settling) or Germany).

He graduates this April (2014) from teacher's college. We have a 3 year old dependent. I don't teach.
He has a year teaching experience (teacher assistant to special needs children), an honours degree in Psychology and a Counseling degree. Also a year with mentoring at risk youth.
I am a Swiss/Canadian dual citizen (as is our son) and my husband is Canadian.
I guess my question is...do we stand a chance?
He sent out his resume/CV and we have gotten a view "nibbles", but who knows?

*I guess I need a little hope thrown our way :(
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Just bean,

Your husband will find it difficult to find a position particularly in Germany or Switzerland. Most schools in these countries are very competitive and get hundreds if not thousands of applicants. From the school's perspective, your husband does not have any full-time teaching experience. Most schools do not recognize teaching assistants as a year of teaching experience. Does your husband what to teach or be a counselor? I would advise your husband to get experience anywhere he can even if it is a smaller or lesser known school.
JustBean

Post by JustBean »

Nomads,

Thank you so much for your reply and your opinion...we knew going into this that it would be very tough competition and that the lack of actual teaching experience would be a big set back.

We are prepared (with heavy hearts) to stay in Canada for two more years for him to gain the experience working as a teacher here...and try again...and again...and again (if need be) :)

We definitely have our fingers (and toes!) crossed though...he has sent out a number of resumes/CV's to all kinds of international schools in Germany & CH (large and small)...maybe a miracle is due? :)

Thank you for taking the time!
hannah

Re: Complete newbie with questions (of course! ;) )

Post by hannah »

International teaching if full of so many exciting opportunities and experiences.
If your husband truly wants to be an international teacher and you are up for it, I strongly caution you not limit your options.
A dear friend of mine is Swiss, married to a Canadian (she came to Canada for uni). They now live and teach in Switzerland, but not before spending many years exploring other parts of the world with their young boys.
You have no idea what adventures await you and your family. You will be sorely missing out with such a narrow focus.
JustBean

Post by JustBean »

Thanks for your reply!
We would definitely have been up for more of a variety of places a few years ago...we have traveled and moved around a lot on our own and are ready to "settle in" so to speak :)
I do agree with you...there are a TON of amazing places to experience out there in the international teaching front!
A nice opportunity came our way to teach in London, so we are heading somewhere we never expected to for the next two years (and a *little* closer to where we want to end up ;) ). We are really excited!

Best,
JustBean
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

JustBean, if your hubby got a job with a regular British school in London, tell him that he needs to be prepared for the worst. Most British government schools that hire OTT's (overseas trained teachers) do so either because of cost, or because they cannot attract and keep British trained teachers.

I did a year in the UK south of London, loved it, and my wife loved her job, but WOW! The first two months my wife thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. I am still in touch with friends and former students from that year and am truly glad I went...but many people go and get swamped under the behaviour issues they face.

Good luck as you start your new adventure. If he is going to a British school he should at least look at the OFSTED inspection report which is available online for every school in the UK.
JustBean

Post by JustBean »

Hi Shadowjack,

We are aware (after doing some research) that he will be challenged in this position...fingers crossed that it ends well like your term did! He teaches primary grades, so that makes a (tiny) bit of difference (we hope). Thank you for the online info. we will definitely check that out!

What grade(s) did you teach over there? Did you find that the school was overall nice & helpful with your challenges?

Best,
JustBean
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I taught year 7 to 12, ITC and (originally, until the IT deputy head had a nervous breakdown and I switched to full IT) English Y7 and Y8. The school offered me MPS 6 (the highest salary they could offer) and the head was fabulous. An older chap who had been hired to guide the school out of serious weakness (the step above special measures), if you did your job properly he would back you to the hilt. If you ended up being a tosser, he had no time for you whatsoever.

My secret was learning the rules and regulations better than the students and using them immediately after giving the student a choice of doing what was asked or facing sanctions. Like I say, it took two months and after that it was pretty good. Then again, the kids had to believe in you - the school went through over 100 teachers the year before I started!

If Mr. JB is proactive and documents everything, he will do ok.

Hope that helps,

shad