Uniform in school

katherinejones24

Uniform in school

Post by katherinejones24 »

On Tumblr, lately there has been a mass feminist outroar against dress codes of any sort, it seems, because they are deemed "slut-shaming".
Mind you, I'm a feminist, and consider myself a pretty radical one at that, but I think this is bullshit.
School is a professional setting. You have to dress like you take it seriously. This means you can't have your boobs hanging out and your ass showing through your skirt, in my opinion. Same goes for guys- no boxers showing, no crude messages on t-shirts, etc.

I hate the idea of uniforms, though. I went to Catholic school in the US for 12 years. The uniforms just made everyone feel insecure because they could no longer dress in ways that flattered their bodies. Fat girls looked fatter, flat girls looked flatter, and the skorts were uncomfortable as fuck. I also disagree with uniforms because I do think that clothing is a form of self-expression which is important. I was bullied for my looks in high school. Uniforms didn't prevent that. Other people were bullied for being poor because of what cars they drove to school, what purses they stashed into their lockers, etc. Uniforms didn't stop class-based bullying. I'm REALLY anti-uniform.

But to allow students to go to elementary-high school looking like they just came from a strip club or prison, is crossing the line.

What do you guys think
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Not sure what you're so fired up about. I've not seen a school that required teachers to wear a uniform, and frankly at my age--and probably yours--it doesn't matter to me if the school requires the students to. I have to say, though, that after teaching in the Middle East for two years, I was very happy not to have to see my students' underwear (or beyond) any more.

I did stop playing uniform police a long time ago. That's the job of parents, admin, and board members.