Teaching Couple BUT have 4 dependents

JB

Teaching Couple BUT have 4 dependents

Post by JB »

My husband and I are both veteran teachers and are extremely interested in teaching internationally, but we have 4 school age children. Is there ANY chance of us getting hired? IF so, which schools or areas should we focus on? I'm not a big fan of Africa and a little hesitant about the Middle East. Any information would be awesome.
Snowbeavers

Post by Snowbeavers »

It's going to be difficult to get free tuition for all of them and recruiters might be hesitant to hire you. I know a family with 3 kids finds it very challenging. A quick search on Search came up with lots for free tuition (but need to check with individual schools on exactly how many). Here are some notables:

Luanda International School
Lincoln School
American International School of Vienna
International School of Brussels
Graded School (up to 3)
ISPP (Cambodia)
Shanghai American
HKIS (100% for first 2, 80% for additional)
Int. School of Hamburg
American Embassy School New Delhi
JB

Post by JB »

Thank You do the information!! My next move should be to register for Search or another type of "recruiter". Do you have any suggestions considering my situation of married teaching couple with 4 dependents??? Is one better than another?
Snowbeavers

Post by Snowbeavers »

[quote="JB"]Thank You do the information!! My next move should be to register for Search or another type of "recruiter". Do you have any suggestions considering my situation of married teaching couple with 4 dependents??? Is one better than another?[/quote]

I would recommend either Search or ISS (or both to broaden your net). They both have a lot of paperwork and hoops to go through.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I would try Search and ISS but I wouldn't be surprised if they both turn you down. My wife and I are both teachers and have 3 children and thats what happened to our ISS application. You could go to the UNI fair or join TIE and attempt to land your jobs without a job fair.

We attended the UNI Fair twice with three dependents and both times walked away with good jobs, including one in Europe. We had to make some allowances and do some work in kind but we had great family experiences at both schools.

Good luck in your search.
JB

Post by JB »

Thanks for the information regarding dependents. After reading many many posts, I realize this will be a difficult road, but well worth the challenge in the end ( I hope). I was already considering the UNI fair and the fair in Atlanta in Dec. Any others suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi JB,

welcome to the world of international teaching. Others will shortly be along to tell you how unlikely it is that you will ever land jobs overseas with four kids.

However, the most important question at this point is what do you and your husband teach or do? ie - counselor, physics teacher, elementary teacher, secondary English, middle school math?

After that, my honest advice would be to approach QSI (Quality Schools International). You will start out in some gawd awful places, but if you stick with them you can move around :-)

Any questions, ask away.

Shad
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I will also tell you that Forum 2 - ISS is the DEAD forum. Forum 1 will get you many more responses, although this is the slow time of year. It will heat up in late September through to March or April.

A word of warning - if you are seriously thinking of recruiting for next year, the recruiting season runs October to March. After that it slows considerably. Many positions will be gone well before March.

Search starts their job fairs in Australia in very early January before following ISS's Bangkok fair with their own in early mid-January.

So start planning now!