jobs-YK Pao, Stavanger, Ho Chi Minh, SAS

Emmerness

jobs-YK Pao, Stavanger, Ho Chi Minh, SAS

Post by Emmerness »

Hi,

I am toying with the idea of working internationally next year. I know, I know, I'm late in the game! I'm only going to take a job if it seems great as I currently have a great position in the US.

Can anyone tell me there thoughts on the special education positions below:

International school of Stavanger, Norway
International School Ho Chi Minh City
YK Pao in Shanghai
Shanghai American School in China

Shanghai American School also has a librarian and drama postion which I could apply for.

I have 12 years of teaching experience and experience working as a school librarian and special education teacher. I also have a theater endorsement.

I'm assuming special education teachers are easier jobs to get but librarian and drama positions are difficult. Is this accurate?

Also, I've been able to read a lot about some of the schools on my list, but I've seen very little with International School of Stavanger and nothing on YK Pao schoolin Shanghai.

Any thoughts? Will I be able to save anything? Is the cost of living good? Will I need a car for these places?

Thanks!

Emerson
Last edited by Emmerness on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Out of them all, Shanghai American is the best.

Stavanger (never lived there, don't know anybody who has taught there, but I know it's in Norway, sooo....) will be a lot of taxes for you, unless the US has a special tax treaty with the Norwegians...

Shanghai - low taxes, good pay, decent city, great central location to go places inside and outside of China, nice climate in general.

And it is easier to get a librarian or drama position than SPED because very few international schools have SPED programs...

just my two cents...
Walter

Correction

Post by Walter »

Stavanger is a very good school with an excellent record in looking after its teachers and paying them well. As I remember, they have a tax-free deal for US citizens for three? years. If you get a job offer there, it's well worth considering.

Lots of international schools have SPED/Learning Support positions. This has been an area of real growth in international education in the last ten years.

You need to think carefully what it is that you want to do. Both areas you talk about are highly specialized. It may raise an eyebrow if you claim to be equally adept at both (even if you are)!
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

At SAS you will definitely be able to save money though, as previously posted, it is getting expensive in Shanghai. You definitely don't want a car in Shanghai, even if you could afford it. Taxis are still reasonable and the metro is growing every year.