Just refunded by ISS

craniac

Just refunded by ISS

Post by craniac »

So I just received a refund from ISS because I don't have two years of experience with K-12 OR a state certification. I'm a college professor with a Ph.D. in English who has been teaching freshman English for about a decade. I understand the requirements, I just wish I had noticed them prior to losing $50, but there you go.

I'm wondering what my best options are at this point, and whether it is still possible or worth it to attend a job fair given my credentials or lack thereof. I already bought the ticket to SF.
Gipper

Post by Gipper »

You could now try Search Associates. They tend to be slightly less discerning when considering potential candidates. They have a fair in SF two days after the ISS fair. The timeline would be tight now, but there is no harm in sending an email to ask if there is enough time for you to make this happen.
craniac

Post by craniac »

Thanks for the suggestions. One of my email addresses is recumbents@gmail.com

I think I did a poor job of researching the market and need to either try to find the rare combination of someone who is desperate enough to forego the certification and can afford to fly us out there, which is probably unlikely.

We're just looking to go overseas for a year or three. I'll revisit the collegiate jobs as well.

Note: My wife is pretty flexible, and she is the one pushing the hardest to go overseas, but she is not excited about the limitations put on women in Saudi Arabia, especially not being able to drive.
autumnrain

Post by autumnrain »

That's a shame. I'm sure there are tons of schools that would love to have you.