Esol and American International School of Dubai

astokan

Esol and American International School of Dubai

Post by astokan »

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the integrity of the Esolonline recruiters. Also, I haven't found any info on the American International School in Dubai in ISR. Does anyone know anything about this school and the way it is run?

Thanks...

Post by Guest »

I have worked in ESOL schools for 10 years ... my advice is avoid them.
Programs are watered down and teachers are second class critters in these proprietary schools. Bums on seats is the only concern. Little tuition money is invested in the schools since up to 60% is pocketed as profit. If you are a professional teacher, avoid ESOL. The ESOL schools are only good for first year teachers who are looking for two years of experience so that they can move on after the second year.
Informed

Yeah

Post by Informed »

I agree, stay away from the ESOL schools. The owner is very shady and wil look for ways to exploit you. Did you see how many positions they still have open??!! I hope they begin to get the message.
Umm Rashid

Post by Umm Rashid »

If you are a parent keep your children away from ESOL's schools too, as it's a waste of time and money. I am a parent and had a hard time with the other Dubai ESOL school Deira International School.
The ESOL Dubai is managed by Bassam Abushakra. Deira Internationals headmaster is John Bastable. He claims unique experience, but after a quick search at google is evident that is only from India. I presume the both are the reqruters for ESOL Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
For John Bastable I can say that he is very dishonest man, who often fabricates fictional statements in order to defend his wrong decisions. His has a an over sized ego that can't be wounded at any price and if you dare to complain, be ready for ridiculous behavior. He performs with the confidence of a white man in India.
In my opinion ESOL management depends only on large advertisement campaigns featuring the provided by Al Futtaim state of art school facilities. The school is following a policy of entertainment. Every week some sort of . is going on or the teachers have conferences.
I can't comment on the teachers vacancies, but can tell for sure that many parents have withdrawn their children from DIS coz of very poor academic standards
Umm Rashid

Post by Umm Rashid »

[quote="Umm Rashid"]If you are a parent keep your children away from ESOL's schools too, as it's a waste of time and money. I am a parent and had a hard time with the other Dubai ESOL school Deira International School.
The ESOL Dubai is managed by Bassam Abushakra. Deira Internationals headmaster is John Bastable. He claims unique experience, but after a quick search at google is evident that is only from India.
For John Bastable I can say that he is very dishonest man, who often fabricates fictional statements in order to defend his wrong decisions. His has a an over sized ego that can't be wounded at any price and if you dare to complain, be ready for ridiculous behavior. He performs with the confidence of a white man in India.
In my opinion ESOL management in Dubai depends only on large advertisement campaigns featuring the provided by Al Futtaim state of art school facilities. The school is following a policy of entertainment. Every week some sort of festival, . or celebration is going on and the teachers have conferences.
I can't comment on the teachers vacancies, but can tell for sure that many parents have withdrawn their children from DIS thanks to the very poor academic standards[/quote]
johnwest

ESOL

Post by johnwest »

"Second class critters" is exceedingly offensive. I taught in an ESOL school for three years (AIS in Khobar, KSA) and I do NOT consider myself to be as "Guest" described. Please use your name if you are going to make scurrilous and unfounded characterizations.

As for ESOL, it IS a proprietary organization. It is in the business to make money. I read many negative comments about the organization--all anonymously posted--but that was not my own experience. ESOL always followed my contract to the letter.

John West
agricola

Second Class Critters?

Post by agricola »

First informing all of us that you have worked in ESOL schools for ten years and then describing proprietary teachers as "second class critters" leads me to question both your species as well as your intelligence. Please do tell, are you a critter? Or are you one of those 'First Class' teachers of the not-for-profit schools?
Yes, ESOL is a for-profit organization. I have worked for them for 5 years and have found that they are reasonably fair but frequently petty. They try to be professional in a not particularly professional field but sometimes have trouble remembering that they employ Westerners for their ability to think critically and question assumptions. But that could be said of every Arab run organization. They aren't the best, they aren't the worst...and I've never met a teacher that wasn't fully bipedal. In fact some of us are reasonably well educated...
botox

ESOL Schools

Post by botox »

I was recruited on the internet and ESOL has met every agreement on the contract. Very professional.
Pike

Post by Pike »

To be clear, there are two ESOL mananged schools in Dubai
Diera International School
Universal American School
The schoosl is a "for profit" school but they don't keep 60% of the profit. That's just ridiculous assumption.

DIS follows the British Curriculum as part of the IB program, and UAS follows an American curriculum as par of the IB program. I cannot speak for DIS, but UAS specifically uses the PYP and IBDP. It has a conceptually based curriculum from 7- 10 Grades.

We have plenty of resources, but unfortunately, we do not always have textbooks for the students. We are encouraged to have project based assessments. We also have smart boards in most classrooms and LCD projectors in every classroom.

UAS is the youngest of the ESOL school and is one of the fastest growing schools. That is, until the economic crisis. This year was the first year the school didn't grow by at least 200 students. We continually get students from other Dubai schools. I have spoken with many parents and most are very happy with the quality of instruction given by the teachers. There are complaints, but they are the exception, not the rule.

The students are well behaved and very respectful (lots of yes sirs). We have over 70 different nationalities. Most are from "arab" states, however,... Palestinians, Lebanese, & Egyptians. Even teachers who left because they were unhappy with the school speak highly of our students.

If there is one glaring problem is athletics. There can be improvements, but this is a regional problem, not just an ESOL problem. There are enough games or opportunities for some students as they are in the states.

There are problems with every school and UAS would be no exception. However, if you come flexible attitude and enterprising ideas, you will make the most of UAS and Dubai. If I were to complain is that ESOL sometimes chooses not to do the "little things" to make teachers happy. This can and has rubbed people the wrong way. However, ESOL is an honorable company and most teachers fulfill their two contract. We have several teachers who are in their 3rd, 4th, and 5th (since the beginning) year teachers on staff.

The school hires mostly North American and Southern Hemisphere teachers. The school has a lot of teachers in their 20s, but there are also teachers in their 30s, 40s, and older. Most get along with others- many spend their weekends together.

BTW, none of this will be a secret when you are offered a contract. It is policy to give perspective teachers emails of current teachers. Also, upon hiring, each new hire is given a buddy to ask more questions before you arrive in Dubai.

I hope this helps!

Pike
raphael

Post by raphael »

ESOL has a really bad reputation, mostly because of claims of unethical business practices by the owner, Walid Abushakra. I was hired at an ESOL school (my first overseas experience) and after signing the contract, kept hearing international teachers say "Oh God you're working at a WALID school"? Like I was supposed to know all about this guy and his schools.

As it turned out, it ended up being a good experience. He had little to do with that particular school (at that particular time). I think that he has cleaned his act up somewhat - many of the "horror" stories I have heard are from 10 years ago or so. However, I continue to hear "hilarious" (and let's face it TYPICAL OF ANY FOR PROFIT SCHOOL) stories about his FOR PROFIT techniques of running a school. He is a business man supremo, so keep that in mind! It is all about the bucks at his school.

I know people working in his schools now, and the reports are varied: I hear people say they love a school and others hate it. I think it really matters who is the superintendent / director and whether or not they are able to keep it all together. I would consult teachers CURRENTLY on the ground at ANY ESOL school before signing on the dotted line.
goinplaces

Post by goinplaces »

Finally, some positive reviews!

My husband and I are interviewing with UAD at UNI, and I was very hesitant after all of the negative reviews I read... Thank you for making things a bit more balanced.