Shanghai American School

movieturtle

Shanghai American School

Post by movieturtle »

I know that over the past couple of years there has been a shake up with the administration, specifically at the Puxi campus. I was wondering how things have changed, if they have.

I am interested in a position at the Puxi HS campus and everything I have read is about the issues with the ES. Can anyone tell me how things are with the HS admin and program? I am looking into the theatre program.

Thanks
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

The Puxi HS has a new principal and he is adjusting to life overseas and life at SAS. The vice principal is very good. Bigger concerns at the senior admin level where the superintendent is on his way out, albeit kicking and screaming, and the deputy is firmly planted on whatever side you're not.

The issues at the ES have subsided a bit and the current admin is on her way out.

The theater program is very strong. Aida premiered tonight for a weekend run and there is an active thespians group.
movieturtle

Post by movieturtle »

Thank you so much. I hope they have a good run of Aida, I directed that show 5 years ago and I love it!

I have applied so keeping fingers crossed now! Thank you for your insights.
aisha

Post by aisha »

I have a friend who just moved there and loves the school.
PsychBean

SAS

Post by PsychBean »

Hello All,

I was wondering about this school. What is the climate, based on reviews on ISR it seems pretty rocky. Does anyone have any first hand or good info how American children fair in this school? Also what are the living arrangements and what life like is there at school and in Shanghai?

Thank you.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

The answer to many of your questions is going to depend on which campus you are placed on. Despite the 1 school 2 campus model touted by the admin, SAS is really two very distinct schools that attempt to work together which sometimes works and other times not so much. From my experience its not that different than the relationship between two K-12 schools in a large district in North America.

Living in Shanghai can be exciting and frustrating all at the same time. While not really having the cultural calling card of Beijing, Shanghai has its fair share of interesting sights and sounds (though you need to take advantage of them when you hear about them because they may not be there tomorrow, replaced by construction cranes and hardhats) Shanghai also hosts many world class events including those in tennis, motorsports, concerts and theater though all come at a price.

Despite what others say on this forum, SAS compensates its teachers well. You can easily enjoy what Shanghai has to offer and save enough for the future or your obligations at home. Having said this, my two biggest frustrations with life in Shanghai are the pollution and traffic. Pollutions levels this week have been bad, perhaps not the "crazy bad" of Beijing on occasions, but bad enough that it has affected my outdoor activity. Its also just plain depressing. Traffic can be up or down but you never know so you always have to leave a fudge factor in your travel times. It can take 20 minutes or an hour, it just depends. Taxis are abundant and relatively cheap and the metro is a blessing (though getting on a car at People's Square at rush hour can be an intimidating experience). Its important to remember most Chinese drivers haven't been driving for very long and their interpretation of the rules of the road or sidewalk can be very different from yours. Generally pedestrians don't have any rights on either the road or sidewalk, though I have been working hard to change that. Always expect the unexpected, even when you are not the driver.

School provided housing at SAS Puxi is within easy, easy walking distance of school. There are a couple of compounds that the school uses, and they differ in quality and conveniences they offer. The community around the school continues to grow, with a big mall set to open sometime in the "future" complete with Burger King and many other restaurants, and from what I hear a theater. The changes that opening will bring will be huge, both good and bad.

Many of the comments about the Puxi campus have had to do with the ES admin. There will be a new principal starting in August and the staff has high hopes of a smooth transition, certainly smoother than the one they were forced to endure 2.5 years ago. Tne new VP has been working out well so that has also led to the high hopes.

The two campuses serve different populations. There are many American students on the Puxi campus but many have very little idea of what it means to be an American as they spend very little time there. In the end as a parent you need to be ready to deal with not only your own adjustment but also your children's adjustments. It take a long time for kids to break into the group because many students have been at SAS for a long time. There is only a small transient population, unlike some other international schools.
PsychBean

wow

Post by PsychBean »

That was quite an informative post!

So you say there are a lot of Americans at the Puxi campus? So would it be easy for an American student coming from America to blend in? Is there bullying of Americans? I am coming from an international school in Kuwait and the kids here just don't include "others" either you are Kuwaiti or you just don't fit in sadly...

So how is the housing in Puxi? Is it big for families?
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Your kids wouldn't be bullied but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be an instant fit. As I said, while their passports might say they are American they haven't really lived in the USA. There aren't a lot of Caucasian students on the Puxi campus if that matters.

Puxi family housing is large. One compound has 4 bedroom apts and the other has large 3 bedroom apts. The later has had issues however with mold and other issues linked to poor Chinese construction.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="Overhere"]Your kids wouldn't be bullied but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be an instant fit. As I said, while their passports might say they are American they haven't really lived in the USA. There aren't a lot of Caucasian students on the Puxi campus if that matters.

Puxi family housing is large. One compound has 4 bedroom apts and the other has large 3 bedroom apts. The later has had issues however with mold and other issues linked to poor Chinese construction.[/quote]

Could I ask you to further qualify that statement "it wouldn't be an instant fit" What exactly do you mean? They will not play with my child (boy) if not bully then what? Karate kid comes to mind when the american kid went to school and he was isolated. I am just so gun shy from Kuwait and just the hardship my child has faced.... Don't want to put my child in another situation where he wants friends and the local kids are not so friendly with non native speakers or just not nice to outsiders.

Housing. Do you have a choice where you stay? Nothing is definitive for me yet I am still checking the school out :-)