Signing Up for Search

IAMBOG

Signing Up for Search

Post by IAMBOG »

My wife and I are at an international school. I will have two years full time experience at the end of this academic year, my wife will have one (she's on maternity leave this year). We're thinking of moving on and have had a lot of two way contact with a particular school, which we would be quite happy at. However, I'm wondering if we could do better.

I'm thinking of signing up with Search Associates. I almost certainly won't be attending a fair, but I would quite like access to the database and the ability to apply for jobs online. I'm assuming my wife can't join, because she doesn't have two years experience.

Do you think it's worth me signing up with them? How do I get my wife into the equation? The school we''ll probably end up at, if nothing else comes up, doesn't sign contract until April, so we have a fairly long period to look for other options.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Your wife can *join* Search regardless of experience. They'll gladly take her $255 registration fee (good for three years). Anyway, even without going to a fair, the access to the database is pretty convenient.
lennoc

Depends where you're from

Post by lennoc »

If you sign up through the British branch of Search you don't have to pay anything unless you go to a Fair.

I figured out that little loop hole a few years back. Of course it wasn't easy convincing them to let me sign up through the British branch since I'm not actually British but I can be quite convincing when I want to :-)

And I don't feel bad. I got my last job through Search and I'll most likely get my new one through them too so they get money when a school chooses me.

(Please note there is no dishonesty here - I didn't lie, they know I'm not British, I just managed to convince them to let me register through the British associate).
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I thought you actually had to be living in the UK to get it free. I thought just being British wasn't enough.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

So, IAMBOG, did you sign up for Search? LOL
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I may sign up this summer if we end up staying here a year. We still have two months before we have to give notice.
sk

Joining Search free if you are British and/or living there..

Post by sk »

Good Morning,

This is a question for lennoc or anyone else who might know the answer...

I really want to join Search but am put off by the fee. I am Irish and live in the UK but have found NO information about this 'loop' of free joining.

Could anyone fill me in? So I can find out how and by when I can join?

Thank you,

Sk
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

sk - contact David Cope. He is the UK rep and he can give you insight into how it works. Also, post your inquiry onto Forum 1 - it is the much more active forum and you will likely get some quicker answers there.
sk

Re: Signing Up for Search

Post by sk »

thanks a lot for info and tip!