TIE for a job

Overseas teacher

TIE for a job

Post by Overseas teacher »

Currently updating Search as I am moving from my current school and was wondering if anyone had an experience, good or bad, about TIE. Are they worth the $68 to post your resume and view their job vacancies.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

One of the teachers that worked at my school last year found a great job in Saipan through TIE. Maybe it's worth a shot?
teacherguy

Post by teacherguy »

I've been a "member" for about three years now. I think it's a pretty good resource for job openings. The resume part is worthless. I seriously doubt anyone director looks at it.
WiseTeach

TIE

Post by WiseTeach »

I paid some hefty fees to ISS, and the smaller one to TIE last fall.
ISS failed miserably, and then wouldn't refund fair fee when I canceled 2 weeks prior to the fair.

Now working at a school I love, in a job I love in a country I love.
Got the interview via TIE.

Yes, in my opinion it was worth every penny.
JVerse

Post by JVerse »

For the very low cost to subscribe, I think it's a great resource. I've been a member for around 4 years and it's generally very up-to-date, accurate, and helpful. The resume bit isn't work the extra money since you have access to the school's contact info. If you like a job, just send them an email or fill out the applications on their websites. That's more likely to get to them then a third-. website message anyway.

I haven't gotten any jobs through TIE, having attended the Queen's Kingston fair and Bangkok January fairs, but I have researched schools extensively from it, and it keeps me posted on what openings are available.
PsychBean

Tie

Post by PsychBean »

Well I can say I paid the fee for TIE thinking geez another fee. However, I did get my current job on TIE. So I would have to say out of all the hundreds of dollars spent on ISS, SEARCH, AASSA, Joy Jobs and TIE.. TIE came through at the last minute!

But each experience is just that a personal experience. For me it was worth it.
christyn2

Post by christyn2 »

10 years ago, I decided to go into international teaching. I spent a lot of money to attend the ISS fair in February, did not get a job, and came home very unhappy. A friend of mine told me about TIE, and soon after I got a job through them. I stayed at the school for 6 years. I am very grateful to TIE on line!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I use TIE and SEARCH. There is overlap, but if you have both, you get a lot more postings combined.
washisan

Post by washisan »

I also use TIE and SEARCH. The first got me one position and it looked like the principal did his homework by reading carefully my resume from TIE's databank.
SEARCH got me several firm offers and one job. The offers were made during a January fair (but I accepted the job found via TIE), and one prior to any fairs in November.

Considering that I am not in a "highly demanded" subject, I am quite happy with both. However, SEARCH rhymes with "Ouch!" (registration, air fare & hotel!).
Bellarex

Re: TIE for a job

Post by Bellarex »

[quote="Overseas teacher"]Currently updating Search as I am moving from my current school and was wondering if anyone had an experience, good or bad, about TIE. Are they worth the $68 to post your resume and view their job vacancies.[/quote]

Actually, there is a promo out there right now until November 1, 2013 for teachers who have taught internationally. I google searched "tie online promo code" and found it right on the TIE website (called the Red Star promo). I just registered and it only cost $44. Hope that helps...
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

I use both TIE and SEARCH. The are both really good.
redrider

quality of schools on TIE vs quality of schools on Search.

Post by redrider »

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has an idea regarding the quality of the schools that either Search or TIE shows. I know I can find some dodgy schools in either listing, but in people's opinion, are there better schools on Search? Recognizing that there are a lot of ways to measure "good", I wonder if TIE's list of schools looking has a greater percentage of for-profit schools? Is there any vetting of schools on TIE's end? Can a school get kicked off?
Briz

Post by Briz »

Many top schools use Search! They also have Quite a few dogs. Do NOT use their being listed as a guage! You have to do your own research as the criteria for entry is right above ability to pay. Search makes 1500 usd per placement so schools with a lot of turn over are good business. I think my associate and the fairs are great, but those guys are able to eat, being exclusive cuts into that ability...