To Fair or Not To Fair - THat is the question

WiseTeach

To Fair or Not To Fair - THat is the question

Post by WiseTeach »

I've had a tentative job offer from a school I connected with on TIE - no contract in hand yet. I had signed up with ISS and paid for fair fee ($290) and airfare (which I can change) and room (which I can cancel).

Here's the problem....... If I cancel the fair where I may or may not interview for better paying positions........ and may or may not reiceve an offer at... and wait for a contract from the school I've been talking to I may

1) Not be given the contract then am sol
2) May miss out on significantly better package

Thoughts ANYONE ?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: To Fair or Not To Fair - THat is the question

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="WiseTeach"]I've had a tentative job offer from a school I connected with on TIE - no contract in hand yet. I had signed up with ISS and paid for fair fee ($290) and airfare (which I can change) and room (which I can cancel).

Here's the problem....... If I cancel the fair where I may or may not interview for better paying positions........ and may or may not reiceve an offer at... and wait for a contract from the school I've been talking to I may

1) Not be given the contract then am sol
2) May miss out on significantly better package

Thoughts ANYONE ?[/quote]

Well, my wife and I always talk about the bird in the hand, being worth two in the bush. BUT, you have to then weigh the merits of the bird in the hand. Would you feel like you are settling? Is it a real/firm offer, if you accept it? Is it a position in a country you can see yourself being happy with for the near future?

Also, can you make an honest self-appraisal of your qualifications and interview skills? If it were not for this offer, how confident would you be of being able to garner interest from schools at the fair and be able to close the deal in an interview? How in demand is your field?

I hope that helps a bit. These are never easy decisions (unless you are lucky enough to be offered a position that is too good to turn down).
WiseTeach

To Fair or not to Fair

Post by WiseTeach »

Thanks. No the offer is not in my hand and I let the time to cancel on the fair slip by so ... yes it is a place I can see myself happy in. Pkg. not so fantastic but I'm letting it go and we will see what happens.