Great job in Netherlands?

WyGal

Great job in Netherlands?

Post by WyGal »

We have an offer from a school in the Netherlands. We understand that it is about quality of life and not money. Yet, the cost of living is very high. We are out of debt but only have about $20K saved.

My husband would be the director of IT and I am a non working spouse with school age child. This is a perfect job for him and he really hopes to help this school turn around by implementing technology.

Right now he has a super job in the States with our insurance paid in full by the school, liberal vacation, retirement package. We live in a small mountain valley and the school is one of the best in the State.

Yet, we crave the adventure and want to see new cultures, people and better understanding of the world.

What is your opinion? Do we leave the financial comforts of his job in the States and take the job that is perfect for him in the Netherlands. Or hold off, keep his job in the States, get more $$ saved and then try to find another director of IT job in Europe.
PsyGuy

COMING OUT OF RETIREMENT

Post by PsyGuy »

So I retired from this forum, but your post really stuck a cord with me, so i wanted to comment. I live and teach in Denmark

Yes the cost of living especially with TAXES is very high, the tax rates are below:

EUR 0 - 18,218                   33.45%       
EUR 18,218 - 54,367           42%            
Over EUR 54,367                 52% 

(31% is social security contributions, the rest either 2%, 10% or 20% is income tax)

You will probably be in the middle bracket or 42% of your income thats almost half.... Thats a LOT of money to go away. Seriously, you have to be in this until retirement to make it work.

I dont know what they have offered him as far as compensation. Does it include housing is the important factor? How many kids do you have? I ask because apartments are expensive here and with 4 of you a 3 bedroom would easily eat up €3K/month

Im reading your post and your other one and it sounds like what you really need is a vacation, take the summer and travel europe. Working as an international teacher isnt like traveling internationally.
WyGal

Post by WyGal »

Thanks for responding. We will be given the 30% tax break but the package is not stellar by any means.

We have travelled extensively and feel the desire to become part of a community abroad.

My husband does not teach but is a director of IT. He does have a good job here with all things included in a US school job.

Very hard choices to be made. Thank you for your time in responding.
PsyGuy

Uhm

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes you MAY qualify for a tax free allowance. This is a new provision and not all employers and employees qualify. Just because a school says you qualify doesnt mean you do. The tax free allowance is also basically your social security contribution which means you dont qualify for social services (such as public medical coverage and pension).

I had the same situation happen here in Denmark, i was told I would get 6 months (180 days tax free), what they got wrong is that once you exceed the 6 months, you owe retroactively for those 6 months, as if you never got an exemption at all.

Western Europe is one of the hardest places to save money. Many people with kids dont break even for several years.

All that said the Netherlands is pretty nice, but cold, and the days are short. Sunrise is at 8am and sets at about 3pm.
PsyGuy

WOW

Post by PsyGuy »

@Daisy

WOW two in one day, i just feel like the luckiest guy at the prom. I really missed you two, Happy Holidays by the way. Sorry your presents melted (they make really good chocolate here).

China has winter too, but its a different kind of winter then Scandinavian winters. "Winter" isnt exactly a universally accepted definition. Day length isnt something most people think about when moving to a new region. Most americans are accustomed and assume a more or less 12 hour day and 12 hour night.
WyGal

Post by WyGal »

I know Winter. The sun rises at 8 am and sets at 4 on our shortest days. I had my front door frozen shut twice already because it was -20!

Cold I can do, I have the wardrobe.
DLMorgan

Re: Uhm

Post by DLMorgan »

[quote="PsyGuy"]
All that said the Netherlands is pretty nice, but cold, and the days are short. Sunrise is at 8am and sets at about 3pm.[/quote]

Seriously? Have you ever been to the Netherlands? I lived there for 6 years, my son and grandaughter live there still, I visit at least once a year and even in the depths of winter the sun is still in the sky at 3pm! On the shortest day - Dec 21st - the sun will set around 4-5 pm. On the longest day - June 21st - the sun sets around 10.30pm and the long summer nights certainly make up for the short winter days.

As for cold - in a bad winter expect temperatures to get to -5 celsius, through January and February. More than anything, like all Northern European countries, it's the unpredictability of the weather that is most trying. Winter can produce many mild spells and summer can be blazing hot one week and cool with drizzly rain the next.

In regards to the job being considered, I would say the Netherlands is a fantastic place to live, (it is my ultimate goal to return there to live and work) but the cost of living is very high and housing is a major expense. On the plus side, it's an ideal location to visit the rest of Europe with several countries in driving distance.