top schools in central & south america

Dani Fantum

Post by Dani Fantum »

Thinking about teaching abroad but would only like to consider schools in central and south America for now. Anyone out there have an idea of the top 5 schools in central or south America in regards to academic excellence and salary? Gracias!
int'l teacher

Post by int'l teacher »

I'll go out on a limb on this one and suggest a few in South America, though in no order. Keep in mind times change, schools improve or slide, directors move on. Some of these are quite competitive as far as job offers..........

The Graded School in Sao Paulo, Brazil (very high tuition, high salary, HIGH stress)
Colegio Franklin D. Roosevelt in Lima, Peru
The International School of Nido de Aguilas in Santiago, Chile
American Coperative School in La Paz, Bolivia
Cotopaxi American International School in Quito, Ecuador (I've heard it has been on the downword slide)
Ricky

schools

Post by Ricky »

There are probably only 4 or 5 schools in all of S.A. or Central America where you can make decent money. Sad, but true. Go to Asia or the Middle East if you need to make a lot of cash.

But if you're set on life in Latin America, Escuela Campo Alegre in Caracas, Venezuela probably has the best package in all of South America at this point and it has a strong reputation as a quality school.

The Graded School in Sao Paulo also has a good rep., however, the taxes take a large bite out of your salary in Brazil.

Those would be the top two schools, overall, in my humble opinion.
Iron Sheik

Mexico?

Post by Iron Sheik »

Not sure if you are only set on Central and South America. I understand the American School Foundation in Mexico City has a good package. I taught in Mexico for a few years and loved it. Like others have said, the money was not great, but I was comfortable, saved a bit and traveled all over the country.
guest 5

Post by guest 5 »

In regards to the American School Foundation of Monterrey--the salary is very good for Latin America. The pay scale includes an end of the year bonus that starts at 4,500 the first year and increases yearly to around 10,000 the sixth year. However, the stress level is pretty high at both the campuses. The school population is primarily rich Mexican families who have a corner on entitlement. Last year an excellent teacher with many years of experience (including a successful stint at Taipei American School) was fired on the last day of school because a couple of parents didn't like the grades she gave their fourth graders. That aside, there are many demands on teachers (the elementary campus on Rio Missouri is jokingly refered to as Misery instead of Missouri). Not much in life is free. If the salary is high, the expectations probably are too.
guest 5

Post by guest 5 »

I just re-read the post by Iron Sheik. He refered to the American School Foundation of Mexico City. There is also a school in Monterrey, north of Mexico City, named the American School of Monterrey. They are independent of each other. The school in Monterrey is the one I discussed in the previous post. Sorry to create confusion.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Yes, you're right, Guest. The American School Foundation in Mexico City does NOT pay well, but the school in Monterrey pays decent, though not as high as Caracas or Sao Paulo.
Iron Sheik

Ricky

Post by Iron Sheik »

I believe there is some confusion here. I don't think Guest ever said that the American School Foundation in MEXICO CITY (D.F.) does NOT pay well. Guest got confused with the school in Monterey, up north (and stated that). From what I have heard, the school in D.F. has a very good package and salary in Latin America. This is also the oldest, if not one of the oldest, 'American', overseas, schools. I believe it has a very good reputation.

Post by Guest »

You've been misinformed Sheik:

Salary and Benefits information as of February/2005:

American School Foundation, A.C., Mexico City

Salary Data-

Teacher salary range: $24,000-$36,000
Potential savings single contract: $4500
% paid in USD: 0%
Local taxes on salary:20-34%

American School Foundation of Monterrey

Salary Data

Teacher salary range: $35,350-52,650
Potential savings single contract: $30-35%
% paid in USD: 50%
Local taxes on salary: 20% the first year, 30% for the remaining
Iron Sheik

Mexico

Post by Iron Sheik »

Ok, Guest. I am not sure where you got this info (ISS or Search?), but thank you for informing me. Potential savings is always subject to the individual. I am not sure what the package (housing, insurance, annual flight home, etc.) is like at either of these two schools. I have only heard that the school in DF is good and well respected. If you are after money then, maybe this is not the place to go. Monterey, however, is quite expensive too. Personally, I would want to live in a more central location. There are tons of places you can go to from Mexico City and the city is far richer in terms of culture, history and nightlife.

Anyway, I apologize to the OP if I have steered this thread away from Central or South America. Don't overlook Mexico though. Most people realize that Latin America is not the place to go if you want to get rich or pay off student loans. However, it is an awesome part of the world to travel in and learn about.
Gringo

schools in Latin America

Post by Gringo »

Any teacher would be mistaken in not thinking the Carol Morgan School in Santo Domingo, Dominican Repubic is not one of the top schools in South/Central America. It has everything any other school has to offer without the hassles of a big, crowded, crime ridden SA metropolis. Top pay, benefits, staff and professional development that could leave a teacher with a great base from which to step up to one of the highest quality schools in another region. Just ask around and find out where CMS teachers go when they leave. It is a great place to prepare to move up. It is also a great place to work and live.
Guest2

Moving Up

Post by Guest2 »

Just curious...What would you consider a 'move up' in the world of international schools?
guest3

Re: schools in Latin America

Post by guest3 »

Jack Delman! When will you ever stop?!?!?!?
Gringo wrote:Any teacher would be mistaken in not thinking the Carol Morgan School in Santo Domingo, Dominican Repubic is not one of the top schools in South/Central America. It has everything any other school has to offer without the hassles of a big, crowded, crime ridden SA metropolis. Top pay, benefits, staff and professional development that could leave a teacher with a great base from which to step up to one of the highest quality schools in another region. Just ask around and find out where CMS teachers go when they leave. It is a great place to prepare to move up. It is also a great place to work and live.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Top pay??? At the Carol Morgan school?? Maybe in an alternative universe! :-)

And I wouldn´t characterize Santo Domingo as a heck of a lot safer than other major Latin America cities like Mexico City, Caracas, Bogota, Sao Paulo, etc. Maybe SOMEWHAT safer but you still always must be on-guard.
gringo1

Re: Moving Up

Post by gringo1 »

Guest2 wrote:Just curious...What would you consider a 'move up' in the world of international schools?
I have a hard time imagining that with any experience, or even reading on this site for ten minutes, that someone would not be able to discern some differences between the quality of schools overseas. What would your definition be at present? Maybe we can work from here and give you some input. If needed, I can bring aboard a kinder teacher for consultation to reach your lofty level.