Job Fair Interviews:Do you have to take the job on the spot?

bioteach73

Job Fair Interviews:Do you have to take the job on the spot?

Post by bioteach73 »

I am attending the AASSA Job Fair this December....

After reading many posts re: job fairs and the nature of I am unclear as to how the acutal job offer "works" (in general, I know there are no set rules/ formality per se) ...Do the schools offer you the position "on the spot" or do they give you time to think it over...Are many given in the first interview?

I read where some people were offered jobs this way, but passed holding our for a better one....

My concern is that I have two strikes against me....non-teaching spouse and 2yr old child.....And don't want to "loose" any offers even if they're not my #1 picks, in the hopes of better....which may not be offered....

Any insight would be great!
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

If you are offered a job on the spot, recruiters understand that you probably have other interviews lined up and will give you a day or two to think it over. Don't take a position out of desperation hoping to find a better one later. Only accept if you actually want the job and the package and location suit you. By accepting a job you're only lukewarm about, you may be locking out a potential applicant who would be thrilled to have it.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

My experience at 3 job fairs is that you have time to think about the job offer, a day is normal but the timing could vary. If the recruiter doesn't give you time then I would consider that a red flag, and it would make me wonder whether that was a position I really wanted.
bioteach73

Post by bioteach73 »

Thanks for the feedback! great points from you both! I appreciate it!
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I attended 2 job fairs in early 2011. It is really up to the school. Figure on a day, max, to decide. Some schools will offer contracts after the first interview, but others won't. Make sure you go to the school presentations, often a lot of moving and shaking goes on there...