I know I can't be the only one...

iTeach314

I know I can't be the only one...

Post by iTeach314 »

who is trying to enter international teaching from a school in the U.S. in which you don't want to use/can't get a recommendation from you Principal. The job fair that I am going through needs one recommendation to be from a supervisor. Well, I've worked two years at a school in which the P was a tyrant, micromanager, that treated the students, teachers, and parents like crap. My first year there, she was barely in our classroom. For those of us who don't sway to her will, she makes our life a living hell. I have a mentor teacher that observed me at the school during my first year there. I just wonder what I should do in this situation.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Yeah our school doesn't have a curriculum person, assistant principal, or any of that. I definitely didn't plan on throwing her under the bus at a job fair or any interview, because that is unprofessional. However, do you have any suggestions on how I could answer this question if schools ask? I was thinking of saying that I chose the people who have actually spent the most time in my classroom/observing me.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I think that's an excellent response. I never asked my last principal for a rec because she NEVER came to my classroom but once in three years.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Thanks you all!
jessd82

Post by jessd82 »

Do you have a co-teacher you could use? My principal now never sees any of my lessons, there is a supervisor, but because of our lack of contract I don't want anyone to know I am looking. I have used one of my co-teachers from the inclusion team to write my reference from this school. I don't know if you have anyone like that or a peer evaluation process you could go to for help.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Jess, yes I am using co-teachers and I am at a charter school, which means I am an at-will employee, so I can also be fired without notice. I don't want anyone knowing,except the teachers writing the references. This school was my first teaching job, and I've been here almost two years. I have another question...on many school websites they ask for you to complete their application. On that application they ask for you to put down your current supervisor and school of course. My question is, do I put down the reference I used as a supervisor or do I put down the Principal? I really feel like the P will give negative reviews of my work as a teacher, just because I don't bow down to her like some other staff members.