Timing of how to get new job?

dreamgiver

Timing of how to get new job?

Post by dreamgiver »

I'm in the process of getting my first job abroad. My question is looking down the road a ways to transitioning from one international job to another or transitioning back to the USA. It sounds like in December (or whenever) you must tell your current school if you won't be returning the next year so they can interview at fairs. However this is early and you probably can't get a new job before you give that notice. As an elementary school counselor, how am I to know if there will even be any openings I'd want and that I would get a job before I give notice I won't be returning to my current job for the next year? I would like to be able to take several international assignments over the years to come. But I'm concerned I could end up in a foreign country with no job to transition to and I'd have to come back to the USA without a job to hang out for a year before hopefully getting another international job and going abroad again! I don't want to be stuck in one location long term because it's to risky to give up a job before getting another one. How are you veteran's handling the job hunt abroad and the issue of giving notification before having another job?
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I haven't made this transition back to teaching in the US, but I suspect it's a real concern returning the the US public system and probably US independent schools as well.

I was speaking with a college counselor at a US independent school who had worked as a school counselor overseas. He ended up coming back to a college admissions job in the US first and then returning to an independent high school college counselor position. He pointed out that most US independent schools want to have college counselors visit campus which is difficult to do if you are overseas. I suspect the same is true for teachers at independent schools and I would think public schools are even less likely to hire without an in-person interview.

The world of international schools by contrast is quite small. You're likely to have former colleagues (teachers, administrators, other counselors) who move on to other schools. They are people who you can ask about other schools and who can put in a good word for you (or sink you as an applicant if they don't think you're competent or if they don't like you) for other jobs. They are also likely to know if folks from their schools are planning on moving on and let you know. The colleagues at your current international school will also know people other places. It's also a good idea to get to know other international school counselors at conferences so they can let you know if they're leaving. It can be a bit like musical chairs, but good, talented people in high need fields are going to get a chair (at least I think so).

I think as a school counselor you are in a better position that a lot of subject teachers. Being flexible in terms of looking at middle school or even high school counseling positions will make this easier when the time comes.

But there is a risk....
heyteach

Re: Timing of how to get new job?

Post by heyteach »

The answer is: There's no way to know for sure if there will be any openings for you the following year. This adventure takes a lot of flexibility, EC. You do have to be prepared for the possibility of not getting a next job, although once you've gotten into the international circuit you have a slight edge. My former school asked for notice in November as they started recruiting in December. It's a little scary, but it's part of the package of working abroad. Assuming you're certified to teach, keep that as a possibility on your applications and be ready to flex. If for some reason you don't find a new position, the school you're at may be able to let you keep your old position or reassign you within the school. I've seen it happen.