International Community School in Ambo, ETHIOPIA & AMBO

season4greatness

International Community School in Ambo, ETHIOPIA & AMBO

Post by season4greatness »

I have been contacted regarding working at the International Community School in Ambo, ETHIOPIA.

This position includes teaching seminars at AMBO University in Ambo Ethiopia.

Does anyone have information about the International Community School in Ambo, ETHIOPIA? The forum posts only refer to The International Community School in Addis Ababa, ETHIOPIA.
season4greatness

PSYCH GUY

You may a lot of assumptions. First of all, this is one of many new projects which is offered through a fellowship program which has NOTHING to do with the regular overseas recruiting agencies.
So your answer/warning does not apply to this situation.
witness

You're vs. Your

Post by witness »

PsyGuy,

Learn the difference between your and you're.
witness

Post by witness »

Ok...it's tough enough seeing a middle school student confuse these. I cringe when I get email messages from colleagues who continually make this error.

I think author Cormac McCarthy doesn't like using quotation marks.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
witness

Post by witness »

Season4greatness...Getting back to your topic before I got the thread off track (apologies) - Ethiopia sounds awesome. I flew through Adis Ababa a couple of years ago. It was not what I expected. Growing up in the Live Aid/drought years, I had a certain perception of what it would be like. It has changed, and I have heard wonderful things about traveling there. I am not sure about living there, but I do hear that the international school is good.

In regard to the continued debate about your and you're, I have a website/blog for my students. I don't accept comments using incorrect grammar, spelling, or messages that look like text messages. Your comments are very helpful Psyguy, but reading your messages are a bit painful at times, and it makes me wonder if you are actually a teacher.

Your 'point' is interesting and unique though, although I don't necessarily agree with you. Forums like these tend to be informal in terms of grammar, but it's hard for me to seriously take a comment on this forum or a school review when someone can't tell the different between principal and principle, moral and morale, and your and you're. Typos are one thing, incorrect usage is another. If we let our students, many of them English language learners, take this stance, then their errors would soon become fossilized and they would not know the difference.
season4greatness

Grammar witness, Psyguy, interteach

If you read a major newpaper or magazine on any given day, you will find typos or minor grammar errors which have been overlooked by the most seasoned journalists.

In addition, well-known professional broadcasters on the radio or television have "slipped up" as well.

Pray tell, should we close the newpaper down or refuse to print another magazine with its glossy pages because of a simple oversight? Should we shutter the doors of the television or radio station for an on-air gaffe?

A minor typo or grammar error is no cause to question one's professionalism, expertise, or dedication to education and ESL, nor does it convey lack of respect for fellow educators.

Please refrain from responding to my posts unless you have helpful information that specifically addresses my inquiry.