Finally ready for my adventure but need help

iTeach314

Finally ready for my adventure but need help

Post by iTeach314 »

Hello all,
I am about to begin my 2nd year of teaching l in the U.S. and I really want to teach overseas next year. A few years ago, I did my student teaching in Germany for five months with DoDDs, and a teacher worked with tried to get me to apply for the year after I graduated, but I wanted to experience life in the States for a few years. NOW, I am ready to leave. I loved the experience. Living and working in Europe would be ideal, however, I've heard horror stories of how high taxes and cost of living is and how the teacher's salary barely covers it. So, I'm leaning towards schools in the Middle East (specifically U.A.E.) and Asia. Right now I'm signed up to receive a registration packet from the UNI fair when they send them out in September.

Questions:
[list]What else should I be doing at this time to prepare for a possible move next year? I've been doing research as well.
[/list]

Can anyone that works in the UAE give me some advice?

What is the best part of Asia to work , in order to save a nice sum of money and live comfortably, and perhaps travel every now and then?

What advice do you wish someone had told you when you were looking for your first international teaching job? :P
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

Well, if Dubai is the place you're thinking about in the UAE, I wouldn't worry about the social scene. There's plenty to do. You do need one of the bigger schools to have enough disposable income to participate in all those activities. Do your research, but if you come here, you won't regret it.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely thinking of Abu Dhabi or Southeast Asia. I have another totally unrelated question...When I send my application packet to international schools, should I send a CV or a resume? Does it really matter.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Thanks Psyguy. You mentioned that you indicated race, gender, marital status in your cover letter. How do you go about mentioning that? Is it something along the lines of "I am a single, African American woman who is committed to a lifetime of facilitating student achievement..."? I tried to PM you but it's not working. :cry:
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

"You mentioned that you indicated race, gender, marital status in your cover letter."

For that reason I'd strongly suggest including a head shot photo on your resume. On mine I also include links to Youtube video of me working and or any other digital portfolio I might have.

Many job fairs strongly suggest a photo though. I'm sure it's also so that Supts can remember you after a long day of interview, but it also puts a face to the name.
Zsejanko

Re: Pretty much

Post by Zsejanko »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Correction: I meant white collar

In the opening of my cover letter letter after stating my name I include "Caucasian, American, 35, single, male" but yeah pretty much as long as you hit those specifics.

Your nationality is important because they want "true" english language speakers (and for immigration visa purposes), your age because some countries have age limits based on retirement, etc. Your marital status and kids because they need to know how expensive your going to be (some places only have 2 bedroom apartments, only give one tution waiver etc) Your ethnicity because well there is a preference in some places for white people basically (no offense, its just the way it is).[/quote]

I would have to agree with the comment " there is a preference in some places for white people "....these places are mostly in China, Korea and Japan. I am not sure about the Middle East, but I know that Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Dubai would tend to hire a white person over East Asians and South Asians, being that most of the East Asian and South Asian peoples who go into the country are often coming in as domestic help, maids, nannies or construction workers. Schools in the Middle East with a high percentage of Middle Eastern students will often have nannies, maids, domestic help from East Asian countries.....and I can only imagine what it would be like for an Asian teacher having to deal with classroom management, when he or she tells a very rich, priveleged Saudi kid to sit down.