Bangkok fair tips?

ed

Bangkok fair tips?

Post by ed »

Although I've been teaching in an international school (Monterrey, Mex.) for many years, this will be my first time at the Bangkok fair.
I'd appreciate any tips, hints, strategies, etc. to help maximize my few days at the fair.
adminpaul

See the ISR Recruiting Portal

Post by adminpaul »

Have a look at the following link.

http://internationalschoolsreview.wordpress.com/
ed

tips

Post by ed »

thanks for the link.
i'm hoping that i can get a "to-do" list of actions once i arrive. with so many talented teachers competing for jobs, how can i at least ensure an interview with my top 5 choices?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: tips

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="ed"]thanks for the link.
i'm hoping that i can get a "to-do" list of actions once i arrive. with so many talented teachers competing for jobs, how can i at least ensure an interview with my top 5 choices?[/quote]

Actually the best way to ensure that is to do the work before you get to the fair. Ideally you will have targeted schools and positions that are a good match with your qualifications and experiences and contacted them via email and Search account (and pointing out that you will be attending the fair and hope to interview). Hopefully at least some of those schools will have responded back prior to the fair or at worst will have a message waiting for you when you arrive that you should be sure to stop by at interview sign up. If none of them have, then it's not over, but you will be fighting an uphill battle.

If there is a mixer prior to sign up, try and meet the people from the schools you are interested in. At the sign up, wait in line and try and sell yourself and get an interview slot. Many schools will have their shortlists already made by then, but I know people that have talked their way into an interview and then interviewed themselves into a job.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Don't listen to any of the other teachers there if they start bragging about how many interviews or how many notes they have got from schools. Move away from them, they will just annoy the hell out of you.

Find like-minded and humble people who will share your experience both the highs and the inevitable lows.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Sienfeld posts the best advice, don't get caught up in what everyone else's experience it will just drive you crazy and half of it is probably not true anyway.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

Unfortunately the mixer/social is not before the sign-up session. The sign-up session is on Monday morning and the social is on Monday evening.