Getting into Arab culture

derPhysik

Getting into Arab culture

Post by derPhysik »

I am an Anglo American and am fascinated by the Arab culture I find myself in. In country for a month, so most would say this is the 'honeymoon' phase. But I did get into this game for the experience and understanding.

My teaching world is made up of bloody Brits, and the students. I eat in local restaurants (when the Brits don't insist on Ponderosa, McD, etc.) and am avoiding the malls for shopping. The young teachers seem only interested in clubs and suntanning. Not getting any chances to talk, eat, visit with local people.

Would love to attend some services at the mosque, but everyone says that is not cool for westerners.

Would like to meet some of my student's families, but that is all professional and doesn't seem likely at this point.

Any tips on connecting with natives? Should I be more patient? Cultural events and weekend activities are very family oriented (lovely part of muslim culture) and I am single and male.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

Which country you are in makes a difference.
It takes time.
Are there any local male teachers? Business a manager?
In a few of the countries there are restrictions on non muslims going into a mosque, however if you are not acting as a tourist and are honestly interested someone would be happy to take you a long. Some countries have centers for foreigners interested in the local culture.
I was in Kuwait so most of my experience is there, if I knew which country I could be more helpful.
djekalo

Post by djekalo »

I was in a small school in Saudi for a couple of years and found that it was not at all hard to experience the local culture. Simply driving around the countryside in small villages we were often invited in for tea by the locals as they were always curious about us and wanted to practice their english skills. We also attended a wedding as the guest of a friend who had been invited. As long as you follow proper etiquite, everyone is welcome at a mosque in my experience. You do have to get away from the compound and out among the people by shopping at the local markets, eating at local places and visiting the places where locals like to hang out, not at the tourist or expat favorites.
derPhysik

Excellent. Thank you.

Post by derPhysik »

Now that gives me something to work with. I am committed to taking motor tours and if I stop often and am friendly, this might lead to something. Should I fake a flat tire and see what happens? lol! I've heard legends about the Beduin hospitality. (well, read the book "Married to a Beduin" Is that a legend? from 1978?) A co-worker is a committed Muslim, but also a British national. Not local. I will ask him if he attends mosque regularly and the location. Maybe that is my beginning.

Your observations on Saudi are very helpful, too. It is a generally observant country, and if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere!

Thank you, djekalo, for not making me feel like a tourist because of my curiosity. I will do my best to be a good guest and see where that leads me. Only 2 months in-country. Looking forward to 2 years. This is so cool.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
derPhysik

What a swell guy Ichiro is...

Post by derPhysik »

Hey Doc, no need to send me a personal message. We are posting this stuff so that others can read and learn a little, right? Your nice message could apply to many teachers in many parts of the world.

It is really unfortunate that so many people react negatively to the people who live in this region, based on news reports. Not on meeting them. The world is FULL of jackasses. They don't have them corralled here!! LoL

Example: everyone complains about the drivers/roads. I think they enhance the telling of the story because it makes for an exciting tale (and funny!) I have not seen anyone driving here any worse, than rush hour in Boston or Chicago! Slightly, but just so slightly, higher frequency of conflict. But not by much.

Another funny observation: I was in Oman and in a small town. Everybody waved and honked when they saw you. Just like the Southern U.S. !!!,(Alabama, Mississipi in my experience) Mostly in pickups and driving slow. Isn't that funny how similar people can be? Wonderful people, all over the globe.

Maybe we should start another thread just for "nice experiences" with Arab/Persian people, to counter the flood of other stories.

Salaam Alaykum (huh?! Yeah, Bro.)
dpurple

ME people

Post by dpurple »

Sorry, but my reality of people in the M.E (or more accurately, those with money in the cities) is negative, not because of News reports, but from having lived there for some years.
They are NOT nice people in general, but spoilt, intolerant and dishonest; and we would be doing....... no, I won't complete that sentence.
the_crit_process

Post by the_crit_process »

I'm also male, single, and relocating to an Arab culture, Egypt, in my case. I'd be interested in any tips or advice or viewpoints related to the OP.
Zsejanko

Post by Zsejanko »

I grew up in the Middle East / North African areas, specifically Egypt. So for the poster who is interested in Egyptian culture, I can assure you that Egypt is VERY EASY to get into the culture and local people's homes. The Egyptians are extremely warm ( sometimes overly warm ) people....they express their emotions quite openly and passionately. So if they like you ( as they liked my husband ), even men will express, " I love your husband like a brother "...which is a very high compliment. You will have no problem so long as you are courteous, open and not hostile ( as a foreigner in Egypt, sometimes the touts can be aggravating since you are not a tourist there but is still treated like one... ). I met most of my Egyptian friends at school....but also, if you're new to the country, just walking around the Tahrir square area, you will find plenty of cafes ( or " ahwas " ). Egyptians ( young and old ) love spending HOURS at the ahwa drinking their hibiscus teas, coffees and smoking their sheeshas. If you got an ahwa and repeat it a few times, believe me, the owner will start to notice you...if you crack a joke and are genuinely friendly and courteous, you will be welcomed all the time ( and often given a freebie everytime you go ).

HOWEVER, you also do have to be careful of those who are not sincerely friendly. Some will just see you as a " rich foreigner friend " and you will know soon enough. When you're teaching abroad, you feel lonely or you generally want to experience the culture, you can still be a target.